S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Switched to Castrol Edge

Old 10-26-2009, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched to Castrol Edge

The previous owner told me he always took it to the dealership to have the oil changed so I assumed they used honda synthetic no idea anyone know what honda uses is it mobil 1 Anyway I changed the oil and noticed an immediate difference the engine revs smoother and quieter. I can't find too much information on this new Edge though if a true group IV or not, so I'm going to run it for 5-6k then get an oil analysis done. Anyone else running this in their S? thoughts?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe there was a UOA on the oil not too long ago, and it looked good. Sheared some but nothing dangerous.

Good oil

Search, you might find it
Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Any time you change your motor oil and put NEW motor oil in it, it will feel and run smoother and quieter...hardly an indicator of what is a 'good motor oil' or not.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow_S2K,Oct 26 2009, 08:20 AM
Any time you change your motor oil and put NEW motor oil in it, it will feel and run smoother and quieter...hardly an indicator of what is a 'good motor oil' or not.

ive yet to see anything good or bad about this oil, but then again its still fairly new
Old 10-26-2009, 08:48 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I always get concerned by such feedback. If you can 'feel' the difference in your oil there is something seriously wrong with the car.

It's almost impossible to 'feel' anything with good modern oil changed regularly. Certainly, you cannot 'feel' anything between oil brand changes.

Even in the lab most oils are very close to each other, particularly when brand new.

It's like saying you feel the difference in gas brands like Chevron vs. Shell. Put it on a dyno and prove it.

What is this board coming too....
Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob-2,Oct 26 2009, 08:48 AM
I always get concerned by such feedback. If you can 'feel' the difference in your oil there is something seriously wrong with the car.

It's almost impossible to 'feel' anything with good modern oil changed regularly. Certainly, you cannot 'feel' anything between oil brand changes.

Even in the lab most oils are very close to each other, particularly when brand new.

It's like saying you feel the difference in gas brands like Chevron vs. Shell. Put it on a dyno and prove it.

What is this board coming too....
yes what is this board coming to?

someone posts a topic about the specifics and quality of a brand of engine oil IN a forum about under the hood information and right away someone puts him down...

care to add anything else?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, here is your answer:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry17087800

/THREAD
Old 10-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

lol...everyone on this forum makes oil changes into a science experiment.

Do any of you guys even track your car? You could probably get the same amount of miles by just using conventional and changing it every 3k like everyone's been doing for the last 76 million years.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Torqueless,Oct 26 2009, 10:08 AM
yes what is this board coming to?

someone posts a topic about the specifics and quality of a brand of engine oil IN a forum about under the hood information and right away someone puts him down...

care to add anything else?
It's the start of a serious amount of misinformation. People will later come back and read this.

It's like me saying, I feel a difference after I change my oil. Well it just so happens that I like to change my oil and I have a feel good experience doing it. Doesn't mean ANYTHING is improved. They call it the placebo effect - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

Now the OP might be able to 'feel' the difference in oil if it was using a 5w40 and switched to a 10w30, but that wouldn't have anything to do with brand, and everything to do with its weight. He would likely be able to back up his feelings with evidence, such as improved gas mileage on the 10w30 vs. the 5w40.

I didn't put anyone down, nor did I personally insult the OP. I did call out 'feelings' and suggest evidence should be present. Maybe an oil analysis comparing wear on this vs previous oils.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 AM

I never said I could "feel" the difference, but the engine is noticablely smoother sounding I don't know what oil was in it before but I will be doing an analysis at my next oil change and post my results.

Quick Reply: Switched to Castrol Edge