S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Swapping head

Old 08-22-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping head

Hello, recently got a CEL on my vehicle (2001 apt with 101k).

CEL was solid then started flashing after driving then would stay solid (very on and off)

had my mechanic check it the cel was for a misfire in cylinder 4. We then did a compression test he said it checked out normal and then did a valve adjustment after that CEL went away for about a week and then came back.

Originally thought about getting supertech upgrade (valve spring retainers). But not sure if that would do that trick.

My mechanic then suggested about swapping an ap2 head on the ap1 block.

Im sure there are many threads already on this topic. Just did this because its easier to keep up with and I got every question I can think of (and will ask if anything comes up) in an organized space.

Also I do not drive the car everyday.

Any suggestions, opinions just looking to keep the car mainly stock and wanting a nice car to occasionally beat on. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:05 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

No supertech valves dude. Just don't. Keep it stock.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

1. Why does your mechanic now suggest replacing the head after performing work already.

2. Why do you want to go Supertech?
Old 08-23-2016, 02:49 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Compression checks out, but you want to change the engine, when it could be that all you need is a computer, or new coil pack. I'd get a second opinion if I were you.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Interesting diagnosis...

First off, was the valve adjustment done on a cold engine? May want to double-check it if not.

If I were you, I'd swap coil packs around (track where #4 goes) and see if the misfire moves with the pack.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What CEL did you get? What does it say your problem is?

Going all the way to swapping a head before you've gone through all the diagnostics is extreme---I agree with Slowcrash---get a second opinion from a different mechanic.

If you don't know any with experience with S2000s, post in your local forum and ask others who live near you for recommendations
Old 08-23-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jetboater
What CEL did you get? What does it say your problem is?

Going all the way to swapping a head before you've gone through all the diagnostics is extreme---I agree with Slowcrash---get a second opinion from a different mechanic.

If you don't know any with experience with S2000s, post in your local forum and ask others who live near you for recommendations
My assumption is it was a P0304 based on his post...
Old 08-23-2016, 07:11 PM

going to ask him exactly what code it was. also i have driven the car since this problem has come up (very local just in case). and the car drives fine. sometimes the ideal drops a little but nothing crazy and for the most part drives like when i got it.

will try swaping the coils around when i get the chance.

also thought of supertech as an upgrade and possibly something that may be a little more durable. should i stay OEM and why?
Old 08-23-2016, 07:11 PM

thanks again for the help and comments.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 126 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Giozilla
going to ask him exactly what code it was. also i have driven the car since this problem has come up (very local just in case). and the car drives fine. sometimes the ideal drops a little but nothing crazy and for the most part drives like when i got it.

will try swaping the coils around when i get the chance.

also thought of supertech as an upgrade and possibly something that may be a little more durable. should i stay OEM and why?
I wouldn't do anything before you get the code. There will be plenty of resources available here once you do know what the code is. If it is a misfire I would begin the Misfire thread, it is an excellent resource.

Moving to supertech has trade offs. The supertech valvetrain will be made of titanium so it will be more robust to valve float but it will actually wear faster than OEM components. If you would like to upgrade the intake retainers just go with Ap2 intake retainers. OEM is the way to go unless you are going FI.

Quick Reply: Swapping head