S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Swapped my 4.77's out for stock diff.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up Swapped my 4.77's out for stock diff.

I swapped out my 4.77 diff and replaced it with a stock diff as I am going boost shortly.
Everything seems fine and no noises really or anything.
Only thing I noticed once I got back to my house after a 100 mile drive. When in reverse(goes in easily) and I release the clutch and get on the gas it makes a clunk noise which definitely seems like it is coming from the back by the diff.
I traded someone plus cash on their end for my 4.77's. I just want to make sure this is normal and all.
It only makes the noise when kind of rocking back and forth pushing the clutch in and releasing with some gas. Mostly if I release the clutch faster not when doing it super smooth and slowly.
Anything to be worried about? Everything else feels great. Shifts smooth, and no shaking or whine or rattles or anything during regular driving. I just can't remember if my 4.77's made that noise or not and obviously listening for anything possibly wrong.

Again the clunk is not when going into reverse I am already in reverse when the clunk happens. Sounds like it is the gears inside hitting and spinning the axles.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's your car telling you to go in 'reverse' and go back to get the 4.77's.

j.k. Don't know why really. My 4.77's don't make any funky noises. 20K miles and going strong. ::knock on wood::
Old 01-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Former Sponsor

hahah yeah. I think it is fine. Only does it when I quickly get off the clutch and punch he gas like a quick jolt kind of a reversing.
As for the stock gears obviously it feels slower but kind of nice at the same time. Nice being in gear longer a little bit. But at the same time miss the easier acceleration from a stop. Want the quicker off the line with regular mph redline in each gear lol.
Thought it would be worse going back to stock gearing. I will see how it is in warm weather though. Was 50's when I drove home and I remember that was when it was worst during really hot summer days cause of bogging down.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe your spare is loose..
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Haha I'm not thaat slow lol. I don't have a spare though. The sound I can tell is coming from the diff not the trunk or suspension or something like that.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 PM

check your axle nuts. if its not that, the diff may have more play than normal...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Not the axle nut. Had that tsb done a while ago. This sounds like it is the gears making a little thud as it gets going in reverse. I can't hear it happen any other time. I've tried a few redline quick shifts and feels completely fine. I have an exhaust so if it's making that noise then wouldn't gear it anyways.
In reverse you can feel it when the thud happens kind of. Feel it hit or at least it feels like that b
Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Who installed the diff?

I think its time to get underneath the car and turn the prop shaft by hand.
In neutral on e-brake.
See if anything moves back and forth at the input flange.
If it does...
Also check the CV's.
Any vibe during accell?
Was the car lowered at any time and now its back to OEM hight?

Old 01-20-2010, 01:13 PM

that clunk is normal.. its just when the gear engages..

if u have a constant clunk while driving then there is a problem.. u should have the same clunk while at a stop downshifting into first.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok cool. Yeah was just slightly bugged out since I had to ship out my 4.77's this morning.
Feels fine now. No clunks while driving or anything. I guess it is just the diff engaging normally making a slight sound. I am sure that my 4.77 diff did that too just not paying attention to it.

The stock gears don't actually feel THAT much slower really. Off the line a bit but other than that not too bad.
Think I made the right decision going with this gearset for my supercharger.

Quick Reply: Swapped my 4.77's out for stock diff.