S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Suspension Woes :/

Old 12-26-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Woes :/

Hey all,

Had an accident at the track a while back and after replacing a part that clearly needed replacing (in the rear) everything has more or less been ok. Lately I've been noticing that around 60 mph the car can feel like I'm driving on ice or hydroplaning like it's trying to spin out and I have to make a lot of small quick corrections to keep it in line. Doesn't happen constantly and road conditions don't appear to matter although I'm sure standing water doesn't help but it does it just the same on a dry road.

Been wondering if I should take it in for an alignment to see if that's the problem or if they would be able to identify the issue or if I should just take it into a shop to diagnose. Trying to save money because I just got laid off a few weeks ago :/

If I can, I'll do the work myself, I've got time I can pull the wheels and get some pics if it helps, but I was hoping to be able to pull them and then get some work done right away.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rear alignment is important for straight line stability. I would get it done after an impact and repair.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 612 Likes on 427 Posts

I would also check your subframe - it can shift quite a bit.

Some girl abruptly changed lanes without looking and hit the front right of my car - destroying the front knuckle, and control arms. The frame was fine and not damaged.

All of that said, the impact was strong enough to shift my rear subframe out of alignment. The subframe had to be unbolted, re-set, and re-torqued into place - again, no bent or damaged components in the rear, but the subframe did shift.

I usually have an alignment done on my car after any bad "off" when tracking. in your case where a damaged component had to be replaced, I can almost verify with certainty that your alignment is off at the very least - the cause for the alignment being off might be something small like mine, or worse, bent control arms that you're unable to see with a simple visual inspection.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 215 Likes on 170 Posts

Went off-roading in my s one day. Not fun at all. Had to replace both front lower control arms but the sub frame and knuckles were fine. The alignment should tell if there is any more issues with the sub frames. Best of luck with your issues man.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,658 Posts

it might be as simple as rear toe being incorrect, instability that you describe is often caused by improper toe settings. Definitely get an alignment and make sure your rear tires are in good condition and tire pressures are even.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:52 PM

Hmm, so it sounds like I should get a proper alignment done and let that reveal any issues? For most places, would I have to pay again the second time if they can't get it dialed in after the first try due to a more serious issue? Or am I getting that confused with a smog re-test lol
Old 12-26-2014, 12:59 PM

That's another piece of info, that part I replaced was the rear toe control arm I have been getting some pretty nasty inner tire wear since but I'm on new rear tires and the fronts are basically new.

Back wheel

That's what it looked like just after the impact. Took the air out of the tire so I had to baby it off the track with a spare lol
Old 12-28-2014, 06:05 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

If you are getting tire wear on the edges that is a classic sign off alignment issues. Since our cars are especially sensitive to alignment accuracy, this is surely a big part of your stability issues.

The shop will either do the alignment properly, or not. Ask for the before/after spec sheet. Make sure its all in spec after. If not, ask why. The typical alignment scam is to set the front toe only, and claim the other adjustments were maxed out already or frozen (a toe and go). Most cars its very difficult to tell the difference. Not so on our cars. Find a good shop so you don't have to deal with those antics.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 1,377 Likes on 1,029 Posts

An alignment sounds like the majority of your issues. That serves a pretty important role in stability.

Your other problem could be that the toe arm is not the only thing you bent. When I smacked a berm at the track sideways, my knuckle was the part that bent. Toe arm and LCA were fine. Spindles seem to bend first in my experience.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:35 AM

Can't say I know what any of this means, but they told me it was WAYYYYY off lol Haven't driven it too far yet but it feels much tighter and there is almost 0 play in the steering wheel so it's looking promising!

Before and After anyone who knows what all this means have an opinion?

Quick Reply: Suspension Woes :/