S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Suspension noises need ideas.

Old 07-26-2003, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension noises need ideas.

Here is my situation: my suspension has had a very intense life so far, I have stiffer front and rear sway bars as well as a strut tower bar. I have traced a clunk noise to the front left suspension I am not sure if it is happening during suspension compression or rebound or both. It only happens while driving of course or if I artificially apply a lot of weight to my front left shock mount. I only happens occasionally while driving and appears to have gotten less severe as the temp has warmed up over the last few days. I put the car up on the lift and checked it out. There is no apparent damage to any suspension components. Anyone have any ideas????
Old 07-26-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably should grease your sway bar bushings. I don't know if that would make a "clunk" though.
You got me!
Old 07-26-2003, 05:40 PM

I think that may be it. I did grease them at the time of install 1 month ago. However, that may have worn off. Any other ideas are welcome and appreciated.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:24 PM

My car has started doing something like that also, but mine its seems like only when I first get in it. After it sits for a long time, overnight, when I get in it in the morning, the first time I take off I hear this clunck. Real loud! Almost like something is popping into place. Is that how yours started? Would appreciate all your help.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:05 AM

sometimes when i drive my car with the top up, i hear this suspension noise(i think) from the mid-rear area. it sounds like "weh weh weh weh " as you go over some bumps or something, and it happens at random almost. anyone have this problem? i know at least one other person who had the same problem but honda couldn't figure it out. its not really a problem, more of an annoyance. btw you can't hear it when the top is down, obviously.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back from the dead...

I'm having this LOUD clunk come about.

Had it when Installed the Front strut tower bar (and before i put in my x-brace).

Going to remove it and see whats up.

If nothing then I'll take off the xbrace and send it to the dealer.

It's a CLUNK and it's LOUD. Imagine someone taking a rod of steel and slapping a subframe underneath the car...
Old 05-12-2006, 06:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quite often the bolts are not properly torqued during an alignment and under load there is a shift and a clunk noise. I have had it happened to me months after the alignment when I finally got to the track.

The last time it happened was just a month ago and there was a big clunk in the first hard turn.. I checked the torque and all of the fasteners were well short of spec. Took it back for a new alignment with specific instructions on torque values.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm def. not a suspension wiz. What pieces must I re-torque?
Old 05-12-2006, 04:21 PM

all of them to be safe , did you put springs and shocks on? If you did check the specs for the bolts on the top and bottom , yes I know the rears are a bitch with the fuel line but it's gotta be done.... tops are around 47 around , back lowers are around 76.9 and fronts are around 47 , don't hold me completely on this just search in technical for it.