S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SURVEY: Transmission fluid change - revisited.

Old 03-25-2002, 12:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default SURVEY: Transmission fluid change - revisited.

There have been many threads on this but none lately. I figure those who did a tranny oil change may now have some miles and long(er) term observations to tell us. At the time some said there was great benefit while others said they felt nothing. Others remarked they were unhappy and changed back. IF you changed your fluid could you please reply here to tell:
1. Miles on car when done.
2. Miles on car since doing it.
3. What brand, type, weight of oil you used (even if it's Honda MTF).
4. Anything good or bad to report. Or no observable difference. (even "gut" feelings appreciated)
5. Any other useful addtional comments.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have changed mine several times. Normally I would do it once a year (with the diff, kinda like spring cleaning) but because of attempts to reduce the 1-2 grind, I have done more.

1. Changed at ~5 mos, 6K miles to Honda MTF. Factory fluid was thin, dirty and the change notably improved the shifting, 1-2 grind reduced but did not go away.
2. Changed again when 1-2 TSB was done; car was one year old, 1-2 grind still a problem when hot.
3. Tried RL MTF when car 18 mos old. More notchy and more 1-2 grinds, dumped it in three weeks.
4. Changed when 4th gear slip out was fixed, car was 20 mos old.
5. Changed after another six months but was clean and refill made no difference.

I am tempted to try a slightly heavier lube this summer to try to minimize the 1-2 grind which is a hot weather phenomenon on my car (the DSM offered to review it but scheduled a 50 degree day so it is a waste of time). RL MTL-90 may be an option; GM synchromesh lube gets rave reviews but is probably too heavy.. motor oil does not have the proper friction and wear additives. I am open to ideas.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I put about 500 miles on a tranny with 5w-30 synthetic motor oil, just to see what it was like. (sorry I cant compare it to anything yet, because it's not the same tranny as my original)

The manual says you can use it as a temporary fill, so I did. My logic for a lower viscosity fluid is to make the syncro cones work harder. I dont think the grind is a result of the viscosity, but rather the springs/tooth ramps. The springs do get more flexible when hotter so they put less force on the cones before letting the syncro sleeves engage. The springs are also prone to 'memory' fatigue, not very resilient to bending, so they may even allow a grind more often (as I think was the case when my box was grinding at low RPM 4000)

Things just dont work out the way I would like *EVER*

Honda has had a change of heart and decided to replace my gearbox . . . thing is I have to bring my car in for them to install it. That's a big waste of my time and theirs because I'm just bringing it home and pulling it right back out That's after I get the car on a trailer and take it to them.

I'm not finished with this other box just yet, I need to test over-filling, and then new syncro tooth ramp profiles, and finally a new oil system. This all will take some time
Old 03-25-2002, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5000km, Honda fluid. Minor improvement in feel.
5600km, Castrol Syntrans in an attempt to alleviate notchy feel. Felt better under some conditions and worse under others.
8000km Castrol mineral GL-4. Notchiness initially unchanged but got gradually better over a few weeks.
9350km Red Line MTL. Ahhh, satisfaction at last. Notchiness all but disappeared under almost all conditions. Effect was immediate and maintained until now (nearly 11000km).
Old 04-14-2002, 07:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by naishou
[B]
9350km Red Line MTL.
Old 04-14-2002, 09:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B]
Re: Red Line MTL - is there any other description I need to know?
Old 04-14-2002, 11:57 PM

anyone try mobil 1 synth shift gear oil??? I ran this in my last car and shifting was much more smooth and very much LESS notchy. I'm going to be changing mine in about 2k miles when I hit 15k miles.

-ardy
Old 04-15-2002, 03:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by vapors2k
anyone try mobil 1 synth shift gear oil??? I ran this in my last car and shifting was much more smooth and very much LESS notchy. I'm going to be changing mine in about 2k miles when I hit 15k miles.
The biggest reason not to use synthetic motor oil in a transmission is the coefficient of friction is too low to allow the synchronizers to work properly. MTF's have additives to insure a sufficient level of friction and are the preferred lube.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:50 AM
Sev

Originally posted by cdelena

The biggest reason not to use synthetic motor oil in a transmission is the coefficient of friction is too low to allow the synchronizers to work properly. MTF's have additives to insure a sufficient level of friction and are the preferred lube.
That is what my experience in this area has shown although not on the s2000.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by cdelena

The mobil 1 synth GEAR oil isn't motor oil. It's designed for manuel trannies.

Quick Reply: SURVEY: Transmission fluid change - revisited.