S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Surging at Idle & While Driving *Video Included*

Old 07-21-2020, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Surging at Idle & While Driving *Video Included*

All right, so the car was dying coming to a stop sign during decel. I thought it was just low on gas since i have a Walbro 255lph. I filled up my tank and it went away, BUT today I was getting ready to do data logs on my car and now my car has surging idle after the car is warmed up. The idle surges from 1300-1600rpms. It also surges when i took it around the block and i was in 2nd gear going like 20-25mph.

From what I gather, its either the IACV, TPS, or air in my cooling system.

I cleaned out the IACV with carb clean but I did not take apart the actual control valve (Black box). I just purchaed the 5 point security Torx and they will come in on Thursday so I can take it apart then.

Here is the video of the problem with my car:

The car is currently tuned on AEM Infinity if that helps.

Any help is greatly appricated until my 5 point security Torx come in.

THank You!
Old 07-21-2020, 06:59 PM

Does it look like its the IACV @Billman250 ? You worked on my car before back in March 2018 (ap2 motor swap into ap1 chasis). Holy crap its been 2 years already.

Honestly, I should just book an appointment to get this problem looked at. lol
Old 07-22-2020, 05:30 PM

Just wanted to update everyone. I borrowed a known working IACV, and its still giving me the same issue. So not sure what to check next.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:38 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Make sure the TPS is reading proper with the AEM 0%-100% and that there isn't an issue with either the sensor itself or the calibration. That's what id look at next.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Make sure the TPS is reading proper with the AEM 0%-100% and that there isn't an issue with either the sensor itself or the calibration. That's what id look at next.
All right so I data logged my startup and maybe a minute or so once it started up. The AF would get to be around 9-10 and the car does smell of gasoline and running pig rich.

I know the calibration 100% works because I used the same exact startup calibration to let the car idle (idled fine), and load it onto my trailer about 6 weeks ago.

Any guides on how to check if the TPS is reading correctly in my aem infinity ?
Old 07-23-2020, 03:32 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by integlspwr
All right so I data logged my startup and maybe a minute or so once it started up. The AF would get to be around 9-10 and the car does smell of gasoline and running pig rich.

I know the calibration 100% works because I used the same exact startup calibration to let the car idle (idled fine), and load it onto my trailer about 6 weeks ago.

Any guides on how to check if the TPS is reading correctly in my aem infinity ?
Well that's very concerning about your afr. That rich can cause fuel washing of your cylinders if you continue to run the car and that could be either the cause or symptom of something else. I don't know enough about the infinity, but just make sure the tps in your data log is reading correctly for starters, so 0% off throttle and 100% at WOT. I know if your ecu thinks that your throttle position is open to say 30% for example but its actually only open 12%, your going to have misreading fuel and ignition tables and poor running.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:14 PM

Well that's very concerning about your afr. That rich can cause fuel washing of your cylinders if you continue to run the car and that could be either the cause or symptom of something else. I don't know enough about the infinity, but just make sure the tps in your data log is reading correctly for starters, so 0% off throttle and 100% at WOT. I know if your ecu thinks that your throttle position is open to say 30% for example but its actually only open 12%, your going to have misreading fuel and ignition tables and poor running.
the TPS is reading 3.5% with no input and 96.3 at WOT via the aem infinity data.

I believe i found at least a route to go down and trouble shoot. its a fuel issue of some sort. My fuel pressure is reading only 9-12psi after priming, i believe this number should be WAY higher after the fuel pump primes then slowly drops down.

and when the car fires up and tires to idle, fuel pressure only goes up to 12psi and this is for sure wrong. I still dont get why the Air Fuel Ratio would be reading like pig rich though.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:39 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by integlspwr
the TPS is reading 3.5% with no input and 96.3 at WOT via the aem infinity data.

I believe i found at least a route to go down and trouble shoot. its a fuel issue of some sort. My fuel pressure is reading only 9-12psi after priming, i believe this number should be WAY higher after the fuel pump primes then slowly drops down.

and when the car fires up and tires to idle, fuel pressure only goes up to 12psi and this is for sure wrong. I still dont get why the Air Fuel Ratio would be reading like pig rich though.
Sounds like you have several things to address. Is your tuner not available?
Old 07-24-2020, 01:39 AM

Sounds like you have several things to address. Is your tuner not available?
Yes, i think the map sensor issue and then the fuel pressure issue. The tuner responded late last night saying I might have switched the map and TPS plugs around. so I went outside to quickly test this and when i did swap it around, it sounded like a cammed V8, so i swapped it back. So its not that issue. I responded back with my results and now waiting for the next step.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:39 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Fuel pressure should be much higher. Are you sure the sensor is setup correctly?

Quick Reply: Surging at Idle & While Driving *Video Included*