S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Supertrapps on stock tailpipes

Old 06-30-2002, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about running a "3 pipe all the way from the cat, then a DynoMax Race muffler a "3 pipe again and one single suppertrapp set up with enough disks to bring sound down?

This might be a good race/track application.

Thoughts Anyone?
Old 07-01-2002, 12:26 PM

How about FLOWMASTER mufflers?

I'm new to small engines, being a Chevy V-8 guy for years, and
I've always used Flowmasters with great success.

Has anyone tried them on an S 2000?

Moneymanager@inficad.com
Old 07-01-2002, 07:47 PM

flowmaster set up with a 2.5" single central inlet and 2.5" dual exit pipes only? or would that be too loud?

that would be an inexpensive set up. I wish I would have seen something like this before I spent 550.00 on RM racing exhaust, which I am very happy with. When I get some extra money I am going to experiment with these set ups.
Old 07-02-2002, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you're looking for- Flowmasters are for sound, NOT for flow or performance. 3" piping is good for FI but will lose low end (possibly top end) on the S NA.

I'd like to see the flow characteristics of the Supertrapps- I suspect that unless all the discs are removed it's pretty ugly.

Check out the No Loss Exhaust article here:

http://www.ntpog.org/articles/

You might find that the stock system, while heavy, is perfectly suited for the car. You are not going to find power (at least not more than a couple of horses) in an aftermarket exhaust; you will find weight savings, though.

Which, BTW, I think the dual system might rob a little low end... I'd like to see what a single straight pipe (or straight-through muffler) does (replacing the stock "Y").
Old 07-07-2002, 07:10 AM

also S/C, test pipe(no cat), tuning appendix eliminated.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sfphinkterMC
[B]
Old 07-07-2002, 03:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]You might find that the stock system, while heavy, is perfectly suited for the car. You are not going to find power (at least not more than a couple of horses) in an aftermarket exhaust; you will find weight savings, though.
Old 07-07-2002, 06:22 PM

sfphinkterMC, have you had any melting problems?

BTW, how does this sound compared with the stock set up? I realize it depends on the number of disks, but what tone does the exhaust take....deeper, more like a motorcycle, etc?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2002, 08:40 PM

matrix guy,

no melting problems. i mounted them sticking fairly out to avoid that. nonetheless,
the black car above has them more flush and i don't believe he's had any melting.
i think they look better more flush.

the sound is totally awesome. throaty and low, like mugen on steroids! my neighbor calls it a symphony. SilverSurfer, Comptech Bob and others approve and have heard it at the track and can chime in with their opinion("awesome",etc).
ofcourse its tunable. i personally cannot tolerate or desire too loud. i currently use 8 discs for street, any more and it is boomy on overrun, but on the throttle or steady it is fabulous. i was running 12 discs on the track, then 9. my gutted interior now transmits more noise though. with decreased noise u also get decreased power......can also run totally w/o discs(its a glass pack) for max power
but that will shred your tympanic membranes. it will sound different w/o blower, ie
not as loud or awesome, i did'nt get to really hear heps car(started thread) so i don't really know.

get a set of the new import style supertrapps(5.5lbs vs 4lbs i believe), with black endcaps and post your pics.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:10 AM

Summit Racing has these for $150. Sounds like a great Idea. My neighbor had a pair on his mustang, sounded great. I think I'll buy a pair myself and try it out!! Here is the catalog and the page they are on.

Happy tunning guys!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...0?goto-page=186

Quick Reply: Supertrapps on stock tailpipes