S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Supertrapps on stock tailpipes

Old 05-20-2002, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your right, i'm not familiar w/ this exhaust setup, but from what i can see, it looks like most of the airflow is blocked.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:22 AM

I have seen them before, but I don't know how they work. How does the exhaust gas exit the system?
Old 05-20-2002, 04:23 AM

Ok I see now from the web page, the exhaust exits radially around the rings.
Old 05-20-2002, 06:46 AM

I had dual 'Trapps on my '98 Contour SVT (modded to 218hp) and it was very loud (ran with all discs inserted) with a sound that was more motorcycle than automobile. It didn't give me any more power than my previous system (a custom set-up with dynomax mufflers) but it didn't lose anything either. The best part of this option is the weight savings which would be fairly significant on the S2K. For more info, you can try this link:
http://www.mz3.net/articles/193.html
Old 05-20-2002, 07:06 AM
Hep

The thing I like best about these is the tune-ability, mostly for the noise. I've heard so much on this board about some exhausts being too loud to even stand that I was worried about what to put on. I've read enough about these cars to know that even the best exhaust system will make only small gains in power. I really just wanted a sportier sound without sacrificing power.

I think I might have the best of both worlds:

For the steet, like I said originally, 8 disks is perfect for the street. 12 really wasn't all that bad either. There wasn't a noticable change in power either way.

For the track, I have the open end cap wich is pretty noisy and has very little back pressure that would be unlikely to lose power.

Since I didn't dyno my car before I lopped off the sock mufflers, it will be impossible to compare to the stock system, but it still might be interesting to see how different stacks and end caps affect power. Who can point me to a dyno near Irvine, Ca.?
Old 05-28-2002, 10:05 AM

http://www.z3power.net/Nfong_Dyno1.html

Even more news. Here's their latest for sport compacts:
WaveTech Exhaust System from SuperTrapp. This system puts the power, sound quality and aesthetics of the exhaust in the hands of the consumer or tuner?and combines a flashy appearance with a true power increase. The cornerstone of SuperTrapp?s system is its Internal Disc Technology, which allows the driver to dial in the ideal combination of sound and power by adding or removing discs from the muffler. This flexibility allows for a quiet tone and a broad powerband for street use, and a gutsier exhaust tone and increased low-end torque for the track?all with a simple disc adjustment. The lightweight WaveTech system is designed for 4- and 6-cylinder sport compacts, and is manufactured from polished stainless steel. MSRP: $160 to $180
Old 05-28-2002, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very cool. I was wondering when someone would put some supertrapps on their S!
Old 05-28-2002, 11:09 AM

Does this setup require any other modifications to exhaust for it to pass emissions?
Old 05-28-2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by darkknight1999
Does this setup require any other modifications to exhaust for it to pass emissions?
It would be kind of tough to get the sniffer tube in there without removing the final cap.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by bbsilver

It would be kind of tough to get the sniffer tube in there without removing the final cap.
Yeah but don't you think that the guy doing the test would make you take them off so they could do the test?

Quick Reply: Supertrapps on stock tailpipes