S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Supercharger BOV idle setting

Old 08-16-2004, 09:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Fact is, when you are idling the valve is open (vacuum in manifold opens it). I'm using a 4" pulley so perhaps the amount of air coming out of mine is more than usual but I still think you'll have some air flow. Even though the compressor isn't doing much down low it's still moving air, and as the is no resistance from the valve and the throttle butterfly is closed a stream of air is coming out the valve. Somewhere between bugger all and two tenths of nothing PSI but it's flowing nonetheless. Disconnect the return (cap the flange on the rubber intake pipe) and put your hand there (watch out for the radiator fan).
Old 08-17-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Aug 16 2004, 11:53 PM
Fact is, when you are idling the valve is open (vacuum in manifold opens it). I'm using a 4" pulley so perhaps the amount of air coming out of mine is more than usual but I still think you'll have some air flow. Even though the compressor isn't doing much down low it's still moving air, and as the is no resistance from the valve and the throttle butterfly is closed a stream of air is coming out the valve. Somewhere between bugger all and two tenths of nothing PSI but it's flowing nonetheless. Disconnect the return (cap the flange on the rubber intake pipe) and put your hand there (watch out for the radiator fan).
It is this air flow at idle that I'm worried about. Currently, my BOV is completely closed (no air flowing out) during idle. My question is:

Q: Will this setup cause any damage to charger? Since there is a constant flow of air, theortically if I let the car idle for a while will the pressure eventually build up enough to crack open the BOV or will it flow back against the compressor?

I been driving around in traffic for a couple of days and noticed no problems. Wondering if there will be any problem on the long term.

Old 08-17-2004, 08:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stphotographer,Aug 17 2004, 03:34 PM
It is this air flow at idle that I'm worried about. Currently, my BOV is completely closed (no air flowing out) during idle. My question is:

Q: Will this setup cause any damage to charger? Since there is a constant flow of air, theortically if I let the car idle for a while will the pressure eventually build up enough to crack open the BOV or will it flow back against the compressor?

I been driving around in traffic for a couple of days and noticed no problems. Wondering if there will be any problem on the long term.
no damage can occur. basically, if the supercharger is running fast enough, any compressed air generated will leak back through the supercharger. it won't just build and build.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some good info here!!!!! This whole bypass valve thing was driving me crazy when doing the install. Me and my friend were trying to figure out how this thing worked. I have it hooked up right but never really knew how it worked.
So is it possible to put a BOV on a non after-cooled comptech S/C????
Old 08-17-2004, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by KenGPW,Aug 18 2004, 07:43 AM
So is it possible to put a BOV on a non after-cooled comptech S/C????
Sure it is. There is no functional difference between A/C and no-A/C.

The only difference is that the AC comes with a mount for certain BOVs whereas the non-AC needs a bit of work to install one.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:55 PM

Sorry to jack the thread but what is a good BOV to get for the Comptech S/C w/out A/C????? And where is a good place to mount???? i just want a little psssttttttt to go with whine!!!!!! And I would be able to remove the cheesey by-pass valve on the rubber tube?????? Right??????
Old 08-18-2004, 05:50 AM

Heres how mine is attached:

The attached to the same 25mm as the old Bosch diverter valve was, I just cut the hose a little shorter. The BOV is attached to the padded ac line that runs next to the crossbeam via a couple of zip ties. I plugged up the diverter valve hole with a homemade plug.

The Stealth FX allows you adjust to either vent to amtmosphere or recirculate by twisting the top. I have not added the recirculation hose yet because I don't know where to find a 25mm coupler.

Where is a good place to get hoses and hose couplers?
Old 08-18-2004, 08:58 AM

Mine vents at idle. But as soon as you give it any gas it holds till I let off.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:19 AM

S2000RAT: Which SC and BOV do you have?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:35 PM

A good Aus BOV!

Did you need an adaptor to fit it to the 25m hose or does it come with the correct flange?

Quick Reply: Supercharger BOV idle setting