S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sudden Notchy Shifting in all Gears

Old 04-29-2021, 03:50 PM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by SnailShoes2k
I recently started feeling a notchiness in all of my gear shifts. I've got an '05 with ~60k miles on it, and for the last few months I've had it it's been shifting smooth as butter once warmed up.

Suddenly, the shifting in the transmission feels notchy, even when warmed up. I've actually noticed that it feels a little notchier when the transmission is warm versus pulling away from the driveway completely cold, and I can feel the resistance of the gears spinning slightly as I push it in. I'm kind of at a loss for what could be wrong as I've done the following already:

1. Transmission fluid (~1k miles ago)
2. Regrease shifter (~250 miles ago)
3. Reduce clutch pedal free play (now)
4. Replace + bleed clutch fluid (now)

Reducing the free play and bleeding the clutch helped slightly, but it's definitely still noticeable. The clutch fluid was a little dirty prior to replacement, but I'm not noticing any leaks anywhere.

If anyone has any insight/advice it would be greatly appreciated!
Did you check to be sure the transmission fluid level is okay? Be sure to check it with car on an even surface.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The proper clutch rod adjustment is to eliminate play, not reduce it. There is sufficient play internal to mc on this car.
Yeah I did adjust the clutch rod to get rid of all the play in it. It definitely raised the bite point up a fair amount, and there's maybe a quarter or half inch of freeplay in the pedal. I definitely thought that would solve the issue but surprisingly it didn't. Bled the clutch too so the engagement point is overall much higher than it had been before, but not much has changed in terms of shift feel.

Originally Posted by windhund116
Did you check to be sure the transmission fluid level is okay? Be sure to check it with car on an even surface.
Is the only way to check the level by jamming your finger in the fill hole? That's what I did and it seemed pretty close to full to me, and fluid was dribbling out as soon as I took off the plug so I don't think it got very low. The leak became evident when I cracked the fill plug though, so I'll probably try sealing it this weekend and doing a trans flush while I'm at it.