S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sudden and Brief Loss of Power After Oversteer

Old 04-09-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden and Brief Loss of Power After Oversteer

So I've got a weird one for you guys -

I am usually a very tame driver, but today I decided to have a little fun.
I have to take a U turn on a big wide 4 lane road on my way home from work every day, and today there was no traffic in either direction so I decided to let the rear wheels come loose around the turn. I approached the turn in second at around 20 - 25 MPH and cut the steering wheel hard to the left and gave it some gas. Got into a nice oversteer. When I had completely come around the turn I let off the throttle pretty abruptly (not good technique, I know) and corrected. Here's where it get's weird: at this point I'm on the other side of the road and at about 2500 RPM in second going maybe 15 MPH. I give it some gas and the car bogs - it actually slowed down and the RPM decreased while I was giving it gas. I let off the gas and the bogging stops. I know I'm still in second because I never took it out of gear the entire slide so I let off the throttle and try again - same thing. The third try it's been maybe 2 seconds and I'm about to pull over when all off sudden power comes back just like that and I'm off. I drove the 15 miles home over the next 30 minutes without so much as a hiccup. I've had the car for a little over a year and 11,000 miles and have not had any serious mechanical problems with it. It's an 05 so it doesn't have traction control or drive by wire, and it only has 31k on the clock. I am completely at a loss for this one. The only thing I can think of is maybe the centrifugal force pushed all the gas to one side of the gas tank and allowed a little air to enter the fuel lines? I had a little better than half a tank when this happened. Perhaps my rear dif had locked due to the skid and that had something to do with it? These things seem unlikely for a car that was designed for the race track. I really am cluless about this one. I'm sure I'm not the only guy on this forum who has put their S into a nice oversteer in second, has any one else heard of something like this? Any ideas what could cause it? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump