S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

sucked up water w/aem v2 last night

Old 10-03-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sucked up water w/aem v2 last night

so we had some pretty bad storms in the chicagoland area last night. i'd been inside a building most of the night and didn't really know how bad it was. anyway, the short of it is i was an idiot and drove through a very large area of water. engine died as i'm guessing the air filter was submerged...went through around 7-10 mph in 2nd gear. car made it through, but w/the engine stalled.

tried to start it, but it died right away. waited 5-10 min, tried again...this time, it idled roughly, then died after about 5 seconds. waited 3 hrs for the tow truck and left it at my work, where it's been sitting since. just an hour ago i took off the bumper to check the intake, and about 12-16 oz (i'm guessing) of brown water came out when i emptied it.

question is, what do i do now? from talking w/various people, this is what i've gathered (i'm looking for some more input):

when the filter got submerged, it either suffocated the engine or any water that got sucked up reduced the combustibility (?) of the A/F ratio, so the engine died. engine should be okay since it was able to start up again. possibly electronics related? people have said to...

1) start it, it should run fine. change oil later, but not necessary now.
2) start it while spraying some starter fluid, burn out any water on top of the pistons.
3) drain the oil first, then try starting it.

it's been sitting in 75-80*F sun for the whole day, so i'm thinking anything that got wet should be dried out by now. if i don't get that many responses w/in the next hour i'll probably wait til tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Former Sponsor

You should get it towed back to your house. Then take out the spark plugs and try to start your car...that way if there is still water inside, it shoudl shoot out. Then change your oil. Start your car again and let it run. Then change your oil again.

Those are the steps that I have seen being repeated over the years with people that were in your situation.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope your engine isn't damaged. I'd follow Shadow's suggestion and hope for the best.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:30 PM

we got the same case except mine got hailed a little bit on the hood and passenger fender...
Old 10-03-2006, 03:58 PM

thanks for the replies...i'm gonna get new sparks plugs, manually crank to remove any water, etc and do all that tomorrow. hopefully the rain will only last for the morning! i tried to start the car like an hour ago...starter seemed fine, but there was no ignition. i'm hoping maybe the plugs just got wet and need to be replaced?
Old 10-03-2006, 04:53 PM

sorry to here that dude. hope everythings fine. im glad i didnt take the S for a spin yesterday coz i might end up same problem. i also have the AEM V1 intake. sure its much worst around here in SW burbs yesterday.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:59 PM

oh thank god that didnt happen to me yet.. u should tow it back.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:52 PM

I have the AEM v1, so not sure of the difference, but I just picked up my car after my ordeal. check out the excellent suggestions xviper gave me on my venture, and I wish you the best.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=424546
Old 10-03-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sup,
Bro usually if you tried to start the car as many times as you said the whole point of cranking the engines with the plugs out might not be effective but give it a shot. If that doesnt fix it i would advise you to put a stock intake back on and tow your s2000 to honda an act dumb thats if you still have warranty? Good Luck peace
Old 10-03-2006, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by rustywave,Oct 3 2006, 07:58 PM
thanks for the replies...i'm gonna get new sparks plugs, manually crank to remove any water, etc and do all that tomorrow. hopefully the rain will only last for the morning! i tried to start the car like an hour ago...starter seemed fine, but there was no ignition. i'm hoping maybe the plugs just got wet and need to be replaced?
I think I'd go with pulling the plugs and turning over the motor with the starter as opposed to a manual turn-over. I don't think you'll be able to spin the crank quick enough to blast out any water sitting in the cylinders by hand.

If you use the starter it'll shoot out any water at all that's sitting in there. Turn it over, let it sit for a few seconds to let water pool on the pistons again, turn over again, etc.

Those are just my thoughts after rolling then sinking my Sea Doo this summer

Quick Reply: sucked up water w/aem v2 last night