S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The stupid spark plug cover...

Old 09-30-2001, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The stupid spark plug cover...

All right guys,

I'm embarrassed. Several people have been warning about loose spark plugs, and several people have attributed blown engines to the plugs. I decided I was going to check my plugs. I thought I'd be a perfectionist, so I bought a nice new torque wrench and a 5/8" plug socket (none of that normal 5/8" socket stuff for me!) and was all ready to get at it.

But then I realized that I cannot, for the life of me, remove my damn spark plug cover.

Yes, I have the right-sized hex keys. Yes, I pushed really hard. Yes, I pushed down on the tool to make sure it didn't slip. I managed to loosen two of the bolts with a very frightening SNAP after a LOT of effort, but the other two... well....... I ended up bending one of my keys all to hell. So I went back to Sears and bought some new, better keys. I went back to it. I pushed, I grunted, I pushed some more, grunted some more, etc. I fought the bolt, and the bolt won.

It bent the Craftsman tool, too. And then I got mad, pushed literally as hard as I could without tipping over and getting a mouthful of VTEC. What did I get for my effort? I actually rounded out one of bolts pretty damn good.

So now what? I'm almost embarrassed to let a mechanic see my handiwork. I've never encountered hex head bolts tightened down so tightly that they bend Craftsman tools. My next purchase may a compressor and an impact wrench. Or maybe I need an acytelene torch. Or some thermite? Heh.

What should I do?

- Warren

p.s. If Honda can tighten the COVER so tightly that Clark Kent can't remove it, how could they miss the spark plugs under it??
Old 10-01-2001, 01:23 AM

Hey chroot, I can totally relate: although I do not yet own an S2000, the same kind of thing has happened in the past.

A slight shock always seemed to help. Find a suitable center punch - one that will fit IN the hex Head and give it a good tap or two. As far as anti-seize, it could stain your head... Good luck!

Did you try tightening it before trying to loosen? Has been known to help...
Old 10-01-2001, 03:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure you are turning the right way? Mine came off with no problems what so ever.
Old 10-01-2001, 03:25 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure you add some antiseize compound to the threads before you replace. Steel in aluminum causes electrolysis and it will get very snug.
Old 10-01-2001, 04:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be an opportunity to buy Craftsman's new "screw removers"- of course it was an ad, but they claim it will work on anything.

I replaced my hex keys a long time ago with 3/8" ratchet ones. Craftsman sells them, and they are MUCH stronger than the keys. Of course, in this case, you would likely have just taken the head right off...

If you can't get the screw out nicely, you may take it to your mechanic and have him drill it out- that's usually the only recourse in your situation (if it's really as bad as it sounds).
Old 10-01-2001, 05:16 AM

I checked mine this weekend as well. Had the same problem those damn hex bolts were on so tight the key was DIGGING into my hand (maybe someone though they were supposed to hold the plugs in ). I thought the key was going to break off in my hand.

What I did was get a towel and put it on the key. I was finally able to get them loose. As soon as I get around to it I'm going to sears and buying hex key bits for my drill. I'm not going to lacerate my hand with a hex key!

My plugs were all tight though!
Old 10-01-2001, 06:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

1. Mechanix gloves will help.
2. I don't think the bolts were actually put on that tight. The electrolysis thing is probably partly at fault. I think it's partly due to the engine parts being coated with some kind of protective spray for shipping. The bolts may in fact be "glued" on and need to be "snapped" to break the seal. I removed mine with a sudden forceful motion rather than with slow increasing force.
3. If your car is new, I would remove these bolts ASAP before the electrolysis thing gets working and put anti-seize on them.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:20 AM

i have hex key sockets for my torque wrench...i found that VERY helpful.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:43 AM

Mine came out with a little extra force, definitely more than the 11.7 ft/lbs spec'd. (I did have to go buy some metric hex keys first.)
Old 10-01-2001, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine were on *tight* - just make sure you let the engine cool. work on it in the early morning after your car has been sitting all night.

it does come off, so don't think you need to drill the bolts out.

Quick Reply: The stupid spark plug cover...