S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.
View Poll Results: Ban them
Yes
23.53%
No
29.41%
Just lock the threads and ignore them
47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Stupid people who clear Cel codes

Old 03-15-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid people who clear Cel codes

On the theory that people who clear cel codes without pulling the code first and then come in here and ask what is the problem are to stupid to live...

Who thinks they should be banned off Under the Hood? Or at least have all their threads locked until such time as they grow a brain.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stitos2k,Mar 15 2006, 10:53 PM
On the theory that people who clear cel codes without pulling the code first and then come in here and ask what is the problem are to stupid to live...

Who thinks they should be banned off Under the Hood? Or at least have all their threads locked until such time as they grow a brain.
I already commented in the thread that provoked this, but I think "stupid S2000 owners" is a topic those of us who have been around for a while need to discuss.

I can promise you all, nobody here is more irritated by stupidity and ignorance than I am. It irritates me most when I find it in myself, and I find it there all too often. The simple fact of the matter is that there are an infinite number of things that I do not know, and no matter how much I learn, the number of things I don't know will remain infinite. I run into the limits of my knowledge on a regular basis. In fact, that's what I call "learning," and when we stop learning, we start dying. I make mistakes and do dumb things I could avoid if I knew more all the time, and if that makes a man too stupid to live, I guess it's time for me to die.

The CEL issue is only the most recent example, but we get all manner of questions that would be as dumb as dirt if one of us asked it. For the most part, our responses are of no help at all, and people who need to learn are the ones we are here to help. A person who knows what a CEL is knows more than most people, and anyone smart enough to find S2kI and ask a question is already doing more than most seem to be able to manage. Rather than looking at what others don't yet know and thinking how stupid they are, I look at what others don't know, and try to figure out how to provide them with whatever they need to solve their problem or dilemma. Isn't that one of the primary reasons for forums like this to exist?

How 'bout we ban people who respond to innocent but ill-informed S2000 owners like they were complete morons? I'm NOT serious, but if somebody starts a poll ...

I hope we get lots of activity in this thread, because I'd really like to know how our fellow members see this. Thanks for starting the thread.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:46 AM

That's why we have the "ignore" button. Unfortunately, threads originated by someone you've "ignored" still show up. I do wish management would fix that: if I don't want to see someone's comments inside a thread, why would I want to see a thread they originated.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:08 AM

See here's my problem.

1) They KNOW the CEL means something is wrong.
2) They KNOW that certain CEL's throw them into limp mode.
3) They KNOW enough to clear the code so they can "vtec", but they don't seem smart enough to have the code pulled first.
4) THEN they come in here and start asking questions like "uh, my car had a cel but I cleared it. Why is it still stalling?" Or my favorite "I cleared a CEL off my car, what could have caused it?"

Even my MOTHER knows enough to get the car checked out if a cel comes on!
Old 03-16-2006, 06:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They shouldn't be banned, but they're sure as hell gonna take an online beating.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:51 PM

Rather than looking at what others don't yet know and thinking how stupid they are, I look at what others don't know, and try to figure out how to provide them with whatever they need to solve their problem or dilemma. Isn't that one of the primary reasons for forums like this to exist?
There have been so many times that I have had a question or a problem and the answer was an easy one but I would have only found it by asking the "stupid" question. Fortunately for me, there has always been someone who remembered what it was like to be where I am. That's why I love this forum.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:43 PM

What mx-5 said is poetry.
Being a fairly new owner, I too rely heavily on these forums to gain more knowlege about the s2000 and I'm sure 99% of the members benefit as well.
What he said is soo true:

The question isnt "Should we ban the ill-informed." It is "Should we ban the people who are too arrogant to help the ill-informed."

We all had to start somewhere and many people choose to start on forums because the amount of information that is readily available is so abundant.

To the people like xviper who has helped everyone with their problems, (including the people who has asked the "stupid" questions) I salute you.

REMEMBER:
"If you don't know, ask. You will be a fool for the moment, but a wise man for the rest of your life."
Seneca
Old 03-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

No one is getting banned over something this trivial. The threads won't be locked either.
In the 5+ years of S2ki, just about every question has been asked before. Do you want forums full of "do a search"?

It's not against any rule to ask questions, but encouraged.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:15 PM

Yes...I agree with you. What I meant to say here before my original post was "DO A SEARCH" then ask questions if you still need help.

When I said, "We all had to start somewhere and many people choose to start on forums because the amount of information that is readily available is so abundant." I meant using the search function first to try and find what it is your looking for THEN ask the question.

Im sorry I forgot to add that...I too am annoyed with threads like "Whats the best CAI" (And Im sure its no fun for the moderators to constantly get those types of threads in their forums).
Old 03-16-2006, 08:53 PM

I have notice people using "The search is not working" when posting a question. There are other ways to search for a topic. Try google.com or ask.com and type the topic you are looking for along with "S2KI". I have used this several times to find what I am looking for when the S2Ki search is down.

Quick Reply: Stupid people who clear Cel codes