S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The stuff that makes me happy!

Old 05-25-2001, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Spoon parts.

Note how beautiful the porting job Spoon did on the engine.

And note the lightweight pistons.
Old 05-25-2001, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pictures, Rich. What do you know about Spoon doing cams?

I am going to be visiting them when I go over next month...I can't wait.
Old 05-25-2001, 07:07 PM

And look at that piston weight. Holy Mac'l Batman! Dropping 300 g off of 631 g? Yow. No wonder they can raise the redline. That's some serious unobtanium. I'm curious about how the stock piston tops look more rounded. I would imagine the sharp-edged Spoons are more likely to detonate? UL?
Old 05-25-2001, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens
[B]Great pictures, Rich.
Old 05-25-2001, 07:49 PM

On the Spoon cams, everything I've _heard_ says they're designed for more midrange with no additional top end gains (some even say they lose a bit). Looking at the specs, that doesn't sound unreasonable. These things have similar lift and duration numbers as the Toda A cams for the B-series VTEC engines (Toda As run 250/240 on duration and 11.6/11.2mm on lift I/E) The A's usually peak out at around 8000-8300 rpm on a 1.8 liter engine. On a 2 liter engine, these sorts of specs should result in a power peak below 8000 rpm, although there are other factors that come into play. (while you're over there Greg, see if they'll tell you who makes their cams, odds are its Toda - and see if they'll give you stock specs!)

In terms of the pistons, I too would like to know how they lost so much weight since the shape is very similar. I'm guessing they use a different alloy. Penforhire, you're correct about the sharp edges. Any good engine builder would break all those edges before installing the pistons.

Which brings up a good point. Shiny stuff looks nice inside an engine, but it isn't always the best performing, particularly on headwork where some texture is often preferable (interesting anecdote I read somewhere, head porter said that even though a mirror finish didn't do a thing for hp, and might even hurt it a bit, his customers preferred it because it made them feel like they were getting more for their money, so he did it).

UL
Old 05-25-2001, 08:00 PM

Oh, and thanks for posting the cam stuff Richard, now I can estimate the stock cam lift (not duration yet).

The stock cam lobes measure (I/E) 36.533 mm and 35.928 mm on the big lobes. The Spoon cams measure about 0.1 mm more on each cam, which would equate to 0.004" at the cam. The follower ratio is probably around 1.5, so that would equate to around 0.006" at the valve.

On the small cam lobes, Spoon does almost nothing on the exhaust side (at least lift wise) changing the lift by
-0.016 mm and 0.012 mm at the cam. On the intake, they add 0.1 mm and 0.01 mm respectively. Of course, duration may vary significantly (and probably does).

So, stock cams look to have lift of around 11.4 mm and 10.5 mm at the valve. Rather small actually considering that the Prelude Type-S cams have over 12 mm of lift at the valve, albeit with smaller valves to begin with. Heck, even ITR cams have lift of 11.5 mm/10.6 mm at the valve. All this assumes that Spoon does not change the base circle at all. Also, with rollers in the F20C, Honda can run a more aggressive lift ramp, but even so...

As I've said elsewhere, lots of room for power with cams in this engine.

UL
Old 05-25-2001, 08:58 PM

Does everyone in jpn button their shirt all the way up?
Old 05-25-2001, 09:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]On the Spoon cams, everything I've _heard_ says they're designed for more midrange with no additional top end gains (some even say they lose a bit).
Old 05-25-2001, 11:29 PM

yups.....Spoon all the way....hardcore ppl...
Old 05-26-2001, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by S2K Fan
Does everyone in jpn button their shirt all the way up?
Well, yes they do. I always thought it was kinda funny, but I guess I've gotten used to it. Also, no short sleeve shirts before April 1st or after October 1st. Shirts aside, the service industry in the US could learn volumes about attention to detail, and "doing the job right" by observing thier counterparts in Japan. Sometimes I hate to come home...

I saw that article in a S2000 book last time I was in Tokyo (about a month ago). I caught the shirt thing too, and thought "if all mechanics dressed like that...."

They wanted 2000 yen for the book & I think I'll buy it next time I'm over (next month). I'm sure it's got some great articles regarding tuning, although I'll just buy it for the pictures!

Cheers -

[Edited by ironwedge on 05-26-2001 at 01:31 AM]

Quick Reply: The stuff that makes me happy!