S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

stuck spark plug

Old 09-08-2009, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was checking the condition of my spark plugs this past weekend. removed all four. everything looked good. i went back to installing the one on cylinder # 2 and this is what happed,

like i always do with spark plugs, i hand tigten them by hand wiith the extension.(it went in fine, no resistence) then i snugged it down with the wrench, only to come back and torque all 4 at once. but this time when i tried to pull the extension and socket out, only the the extension came out. i tried a few more time to reconnect the extension to get the socket out with no luck.

i tried to back the spark plug out a little to see if it would come out, and i find that this time it was a little harder to turn it back/untighten. i proceeded slowly in backing it out, then i get to the point where its just stops and wont turn anymore. i dont think i even got a full turn/revolution with the spark plug before it hits this point.

im thinking somehow it got cross threaded. i dont see how since it did go in by hand nice and easily. i tried giving it a little more force, and it still doesnt budge. i dont want to over do it, for fear of screwing it up even more.

i did manage to get the socket out when its not tighten. it does tighten back up, but doing so will only cause the socket to get stuck. i dont know if this has anything to do with it. but i tthe fix to this is just to weld the socket onto the extension.

i searched and found a similar thread with a similar problem but it was never concluded.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry7106510

sorry for the lengthy post, but has anyone encountered this similar problem?

cliff notes: spark plug is stuck, probably cross threaded it....HELP!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What did you torque down your plugs to? If you started the threads by hand, the chances of cross threading is much lower. I don't like the "spark plug sockets" with the rubber cuff for this reason. The rubber hangs onto the spark plug over the extension sometime....

If you're trying to tighten the plug down, I'd remove the rubber grommet from the socket and tighten to updated spec (~18ft*lbs).

I don't know what to tell you about the potential cross-threaded plug.

It would depend on how confident you were that it went in smoothly, what type of plug it was, how much torque you used to tighten it initially, etc.

If it is cross-threaded, it could be very bad.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me. I put a couple of layers of scotch tape on the extension to make it seat better and stuck it back on the socket. After several attempts I finally got it out.

Now I duct tape the socket to the extension very firmly before I mess with the plugs.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I doubt you x threaded it. Just play with the extension and socket a little more until you can finesse it out. I had this same problem a few weeks back I stuffed a bunch of paper in the socket and was able to finagle it out
Old 09-08-2009, 06:37 AM

first off, the car is an '06 with 12k miles. bought it certified used 2nd owner. it runs fine, i wanted to do a compression test at the time, but time was cut short. i figured i would at least check the plugs since i had everything apart.

when i took it out intially, (the car was warm) everything came out fine. the plugs all looked good, threads and all. i made sure to clean off the threads before i put them back in. when i went back to tightening it by hand it went in fine. it was just #2 that gave me the problem when i tried to back it out.

i called honda to see what they recommened. they told me to use some penetrating oil, liquid wrench was the brand. i got some and im letting it soak right now.

as for the socket, im not using a spark plug socket im using a 16mm socket. i went ahead and let a muffle shop weld on on to an extenstion for me. we'll see if i have any luck with this liquid wrench stuff.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 AM

well the spark plug came off, with a little force at the "bad spot" afterwards it came out pretty smootly.

theres a little chuck of aluminum on the upper part of the threads. what do you guys think the damage is to the head. would it be wise to try and put a new spark plug in? or should i look into trying to fix it first.

i guess it was just a bad spot on the upper thread portion of the head.

heres a link to a picture of the spark plug
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc201/b...pg?t=1252421805
Old 09-08-2009, 08:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just spray some pb blaster and youll be fine. mine were stuck like crazy and covered in oil. i got them out by spraying some pb blaster they came out like they should
Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 AM

more than likely haven't hurt anything, just be sure to put some anti-seize on the threads before you re-install.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

All this work to check compression on a car with 12K?

At this point, I'd replace the plugs as one is damaged. But that's just me. While I was replacing them, I'd do a compression test, if you still need it and know that I had good plugs in there. Then drive it for 60-80K before you even look at removing the plugs.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Next time go with NGK plugs over denso, but definitely buy a new plug instead of reinstalling the bad one.

Quick Reply: stuck spark plug