S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

STS Turbo - Remote Mounted Turbo Systems

Old 12-07-2004, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Turbo - Remote Mounted Turbo Systems

I was browsing the AcuraZine website today when I stumbled on a link to V6Performance.com who had just partnered with STS Turbo to make kits for various V6 engines with other cars being possible as well.

Before you move this post to S2000 talk as a Product inquiry ... This isn't a normal turbo system for a car. The turbo mounts in the back of your car and spins off exhaust gases that come out of the cat. The advantage to this is the turbo runs much cooler and its a lot easier to install.

Here's the link from V6Performance.com which includes some links about the system:
Link

Additionally, here's a short demo of how it works: Link

BTW- Before you start asking questions, try to read the FAQ, it answers a lot of questions ... FAQ

They claim full boost by around 3000-3500rpms which is about the same as other turbo systems for the S2000 so it doesn't sound like the location of the turbo introduces significant turbo lag. They also address some other issues like the turbo getting wet and the intake for the turbo getting wet in the FAQ.

The stock kit seems to sell for around $4000 and runs at 5psi which is pretty low. However, the Garrett turbo they sell with the kits is supposed to be good up to 15psi with the possibility of adding larger turbos on too.

What do you guys think of the design? I think it seems pretty interesting. They're currently working on an Integra Type R and Civic application ... I wonder if they'd work on an S2000 application.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LiQiCE,Dec 7 2004, 09:39 AM
Before you move this post to S2000 talk as a Product inquiry ... This isn't a normal turbo system for a car.

The turbo mounts in the back of your car and spins off exhaust gases that come out of the cat. The advantage to this is the turbo runs much cooler and its a lot easier to install.
For now, the highlighted statement saved you. Let's see how this thread progresses.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interested too . . . Pitching my tent here.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:01 AM

I wonder how throttle response is...
Old 12-07-2004, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jackalope,Dec 7 2004, 01:01 PM
I wonder how throttle response is...
That's what I was wondering too.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:46 AM

hmm seems like a kit like this would be really easy to piece together as well...I mean, all you would really need to do is run some intake piping all the way backj, then have a muffler shop add a flange to your current piping, then throw a little muffler off the side.

the major costs would be intake piping, turbo, methanol injection and tuning
Old 12-07-2004, 09:50 AM

You could still add an intercooler under the car somewhere too.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Dec 7 2004, 11:47 AM
For now, the highlighted statement saved you. Let's see how this thread progresses.
Kindof funny how a statement that I said about the turbo not being 'Under the Hood' allows the thread to stay in the 'Under the Hood' forum

Thanks though, I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on how well this would work on a smaller engine like the S2000's and also some of the pro's / con's on a system like this. It'd be great if having the turbo on the back of the car would have all the pro's of a turbo but eliminate some of the con's but I tend to think every system has some disadvantages over another.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LiQiCE,Dec 7 2004, 11:55 AM
Kindof funny how a statement that I said about the turbo not being 'Under the Hood' allows the thread to stay in the 'Under the Hood' forum
It wasn't that statement. Read my response - I said it was the HIGHLIGHTED statement that did it. If I thought it was "funny", I'd have moved this right from the get go.

As long as this thread generates posts directed at the mechanical aspects of why (or why not) this system would work, I'll keep it here. As soon as it gets to an opinion poll of this company's pros and cons, the thread is gone.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally I've heard of this before...I really think it is rediculous unless you are running a pathetically small turbo...

The PRINCIPLE of turbos IS HEAT...HEAT spins the turbine wheel, because the hotter exhaust gasses have a higher pressure and move faster than cooler gasses...this is BASIC fluid principles...

if you were running a very small turbo, with a small turbine that does not require as much energy to spin, then yes it will eventually spool up...but there is a reason F1 and other pro-race cars put the turbo right after the manifold...

These things are retarded IMO

Quick Reply: STS Turbo - Remote Mounted Turbo Systems