S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

strut bar and air filter box question

Old 12-22-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut bar and air filter box question

Hello everyone,

I just bought my s2000 recently and plan to change the stock air filter myself.
However, the car comes with a spoon strut bar, which disallows me to remove the air filter box.
So, I'm wondering if I can remove the strut bar myself with simple tools or some professional assistance is required.
By the way, can some one suggest some intake systems that do not interfere with the strut bar?

Thanks a lot.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:12 PM

Just remove the strut bar to install the air filter then put the bar back on.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:17 PM

ya, you can remove/install the strut bar yourself...i think its four total (two on each strut tower) nuts on each side....remember to raise the front end of the car off the ground when installing the strut bar back on for proper installation....about the intake, i have no clue
Old 12-22-2007, 08:04 PM

Thank you guys for your quick replies.
So, to remove the strut bar I can leave the car on the ground, but to install it, I will have to lift the front end of the car. Is this correct? Sorry if it's obvious, I just try to avoid any chance of hurting my S.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darjung,Dec 22 2007, 09:04 PM
Thank you guys for your quick replies.
So, to remove the strut bar I can leave the car on the ground, but to install it, I will have to lift the front end of the car. Is this correct? Sorry if it's obvious, I just try to avoid any chance of hurting my S.
what the?

you are trying to swap the filter and filter only right?

you don't have to take out the whole intake assembly to change he filter, just undo the 6 metal clips on the air box. which in this case the strut bar will not even come close to interferes with your plan.

did i missed something here?
Old 12-24-2007, 06:38 AM

I think he wants to change the whole thing to a CAI. If so, yes you can leave the car on the ground to remove the bar, but raise the front to fit it again.

There are loads of CAI's to choose from, depends on taste and budget. Do a search here and you will find a lot of information, if money is no object I would go for the J's Racing carbon fibre intake.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by run115,Dec 24 2007, 07:38 AM
I think he wants to change the whole thing to a CAI. If so, yes you can leave the car on the ground to remove the bar, but raise the front to fit it again.

There are loads of CAI's to choose from, depends on taste and budget. Do a search here and you will find a lot of information, if money is no object I would go for the J's Racing carbon fibre intake.
no, if you take off the top mounting nuts and raise the car, the damper will shift around and go under a bit. which will effectively throw off your alignment, which is kinda stupid just for installing cai.

so is the OP installing an intake? because he/she doing all the work in vain if he/she only want to swap the filter
Old 12-24-2007, 01:04 PM

Yeah, all I want to do for now is to replace the stock air filter. To do so I need to remove the air box cover. However, the strut bar is on the top of the air box and I can't figure out how to remove it without removing the strut bar first.

The CAI is for the future plan. I was thinking about getting an K&N FIPK 2, but after I read the post in DIY section, it doesn't look like I can fit it with the spoon strut bar.

So, to remove/install the strut bar, do I leave the car on the ground or I need to raise the front?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:13 PM

My Strut bar is no where near where the stock box would be, if you can would you post pics of where this bar is mounted.

Like iam7head said you should be able to do this without touching the strut bar at all.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by darjung,Dec 24 2007, 02:04 PM
Yeah, all I want to do for now is to replace the stock air filter. To do so I need to remove the air box cover. However, the strut bar is on the top of the air box and I can't figure out how to remove it without removing the strut bar first.

The CAI is for the future plan. I was thinking about getting an K&N FIPK 2, but after I read the post in DIY section, it doesn't look like I can fit it with the spoon strut bar.

So, to remove/install the strut bar, do I leave the car on the ground or I need to raise the front?

Thanks a lot for your help.
it might be a good idea to have a friend that know cars better to take a look at it.(no disrepect of course)

if you have a normal/retail spoon upper strut bar, you will NOT have to remove anything to get to the box.

just look for those silver clips and undo it

Quick Reply: strut bar and air filter box question