S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strong smell of gasoline, intermittent, running out of ideas need help please!

Old 06-03-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Suphawk
This just started happening on my 2006, the exact same symptoms. I narrowed down the fuel odor to the driver side rear wheel well. This sucks!
Glad that worked for you. Unfortunately it didn't for me. I put the new gas cap on and that didn't work (OEM).

This is an intermittent thing, doesn't happen all the time. But the other day I got lucky because I got home from work and I had some time and it was one of the days it decided to smell the strongest.

I jacked the car up and I smelled everywhere. Under hood, no problem. I removed the trunk liner, smelled all over the fuel filler neck no problem. I got under the car and put my nose damn near on the evap canister, no smell there. The smell all comes from the left rear wheel well. upper left hand corner of the driver rear wheel. If you stick your nose in there, its strong enough to get high off of. Something is obviously venting, and its evaporating 'upwards' which is why I can't smell it from underneath the evap canister.

The only question is what is it. Does the fuel tank itself have sort of venting tube to the atmosphere that leads somewhere close to above the driver rear wheel?

Still no CELs of any kind and the car seems to run just fine/great.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:01 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

The gas tank vents its vapors to the charcoal canister, which captures and holds them until next time you start, where they are then burned as fuel. Its all part of the evap system.

The whole point of the system is to prevent gas vapors from polluting the atmosphere. Its an emissions control system that is on all gas burning cars.

A big portion of the system, including that canister, are located near driver rear. Under the car, driver side, right in front of that wimpy U channel brace, is a metal shield. That covers the canister. Troubleshooting step 1, pull that cover and inspect.

Remember, vapors rise. So this is like the opposite of looking for a liquid leak where you try to find the highest wet point, that is where leak originates. Here you look for lowest point of odor.