S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strong smell of gasoline, intermittent, running out of ideas need help please!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

If you were burning gas, ie running pig rich, it wouldn't smell like gasoline, more like rotten eggs. If it's not coming from the engine bay, you'll have to check the canister like people suggest, and make sure all fuel lines, and hoses aren't leaking. Maybe the assembly that holds the pipes and fuel pump is leaking, it would explain why it's intermittent.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the EVAP system. I have had the same problem. One of the valves is sticking open and gas vapors are venting out the tank, through the valve, and into the air. It smells like you've spilled gas in the trunk.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did OP ever figure out the cause of this? I have all the same symptoms plus nasty bogging.

I've tested the the bypass and vent shut valves per Billman's post here https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/851...llmans-how-to/
There was some liquid gas in the two way valve but it appeared to function properly. Holds vac and releases when the solenoid is activated.
Purge valve works. Was able to get some test leads on it without removing it. Holds vac and releases when the solenoid is activated.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately I never did figure it out. I replaced the gas cap but didn't fix the problem. It happens very intermittently usually on super hot days if I've driven the car a bit hard. Since its intermittent its tough to diagnose because it usually happens on a weeknight when I've gotten home from work and don't have the time to try to look into it further.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by SgtB
It's the EVAP system. I have had the same problem. One of the valves is sticking open and gas vapors are venting out the tank, through the valve, and into the air. It smells like you've spilled gas in the trunk.
This sounds right, but what valves are open and in what part? Whats the fix?
Old 11-07-2015, 08:43 PM

There sure are a lotta valves in this evap system. And they're on the pricier side so I dont want to just throw parts at it. I'll have to look into the service manual to see if I can figure out how to test them. Anyone have any ideas on which is *most likely* my issue so that I can start my research there?

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-l...fuel-pipe.html
Old 11-08-2015, 02:27 PM

Running through all of the checks in the manual. Everything works right. This is ridiculous.
I don't know whether to give up and take it to a dealership or give up and remove the whole evap system.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi, Just in case this might help the OP and others I thought I would update on my findings and fix.
I've had a on and off smell of fuel for around a week. The weather was kind at the weekend so decided to investigate.
The car had been parked up a few days before I started.
I jacked up the rear of the car on stands and had a good look around underneath.
I could not see or smell anything and I had already looked for drips underneath so was happy it wasn't a fuel tank leak.
So I started from the front under the hood. If I put my nose 1-2 inches from the fuel rail I could whiff fuel. Is this normal I thought?
Well no, any smell would indicate a leak. So I moved around and smelled from different angles. It was hit and miss whether I could smell it, but there was defo something.
So I then tried to look under the fuel rail cover at the bottom of the injectors, and I could see that of the 4, no. 3 looked wet around the base. I tried turning the ign on (but not cranking) and let the fuel system prime, then went and looked at the injectors again, and after staring for a few seconds I noticed weeping fuel trickle down the inlet manifold.. bingo!

The fix was to replace the injector seals.

Genuine Honda S2000 2004 Injector Seal Repair Kit (**SEE LISTING**) £49 +vat and delivery
Kit Component List
16472-PH7-003 x4
16473-PD6-000 x4
91304-PR7-A51 x4
Old 03-16-2016, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by UberDuper
Running through all of the checks in the manual. Everything works right. This is ridiculous.
I don't know whether to give up and take it to a dealership or give up and remove the whole evap system.
This just started happening on my 2006, the exact same symptoms. I narrowed down the fuel odor to the driver side rear wheel well. This sucks!
Old 03-23-2016, 06:17 AM

Well luckily the new fuel cap fixed my issue, whew!

Quick Reply: Strong smell of gasoline, intermittent, running out of ideas need help please!