S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strong Gas Smell in Cabin after running Heater

Old 02-08-2014, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strong Gas Smell in Cabin after running Heater

This is my first time going through a hard winter with my S2K, and in the last couple weeks when I've gone out to start the car and let it warm up, I've noticed that there is a VERY strong gas smell in the cabin when the car is idling with the heater running. The smell will linger for quite some time until I shut off the heater and drive the car around more.

It only happens when I have the heater on, and I haven't really noticed any significant drop in MPG. I can only assume that I have a leak somewhere, but I can't figure out where would be a good place to start searching and I can't think of any fuel line that would have anything to do with the heater.

If anyone has any ideas or tips I'd appreciate it.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the car have any modifications, like exhaust, or specifically, a test pipe?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kenshyn
Does the car have any modifications, like exhaust, or specifically, a test pipe?
Not at all, it's bone stock.

Edit: I should also probably mention that I'm not seeing any liquid on the ground; I can't visually see any leaking gas. I can only smell it, however the smell is unmistakable and extremely strong.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:49 PM

Thanks to whatever mod moved my topic; I'm sorry I was unsure on what zone it fit best under.

Also, bumping
Old 02-08-2014, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check under the hood? Your pressure regulator may be leaking shooting gas into the blanket on the hood (which explains no puddle on the ground). As for the smell only coming on when the heater is on... not so sure bout that one.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When a car is cold and trying to warm up it runs rich. This can be exaggerated even more during winter months where it's even colder. It's not uncommon to smell unburnt fuel during this time. Could this be your issue and maybe you just think it's heater related?
Old 02-09-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you forget to tighten your oil fill cap?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:56 AM

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,536 Posts

You are smelling it with the heater on because it is sucking air from underhood and introducing it into the cabin, it isn't related to the heater directly, so the source of the leak is in or under the engine bay.

The source is going to be around the fuel rail, check the injectors, and the most likely culprit is the fuel hose that comes up and meets the fuel pulsation dampener on the fuel rail. The metal part of the hose just under the intake manifold is brazed at the joints and we've seen pictures of the hoses leaking there.

Have you had any work done to the intake manifold area of the engine in recent times ?, sometimes the fuel pulsation dampener can leak if it isn't tightened properly and new washers weren't used. Otherwise the fuel hose, fuel pressure regulator, and injectors would be the next place to check.

I'd stop driving the car until you find the issue, we've also seen the results of some s2000 engine bay fuel fires and they weren't easy to look at.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
When a car is cold and trying to warm up it runs rich. This can be exaggerated even more during winter months where it's even colder. It's not uncommon to smell unburnt fuel during this time. Could this be your issue and maybe you just think it's heater related?
I considered that, but it's definitely too much to just be related to the car trying to warm up.

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Did you forget to tighten your oil fill cap?
It's seated fine

Originally Posted by JFUSION
You are smelling it with the heater on because it is sucking air from underhood and introducing it into the cabin, it isn't related to the heater directly, so the source of the leak is in or under the engine bay.

The source is going to be around the fuel rail, check the injectors, and the most likely culprit is the fuel hose that comes up and meets the fuel pulsation dampener on the fuel rail. The metal part of the hose just under the intake manifold is brazed at the joints and we've seen pictures of the hoses leaking there.

Have you had any work done to the intake manifold area of the engine in recent times ?, sometimes the fuel pulsation dampener can leak if it isn't tightened properly and new washers weren't used. Otherwise the fuel hose, fuel pressure regulator, and injectors would be the next place to check.

I'd stop driving the car until you find the issue, we've also seen the results of some s2000 engine bay fuel fires and they weren't easy to look at.
Thank you very much for this response! I'll start troubleshooting the locations you mentioned, and I'll take your advice and stop driving the car until I find the source.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Remove the plastic fuel rail cover. Get a bright flashlight and pressurize the fuel system by turning on the ignition, and check around under and around the intake manifold and fuel hose area. You don't have to start the car at this point. Your nose might lead you to the right location, lol. Look for light moisture around all of the fuel related parts, you probably won't see large drops of fuel, it's going to be a very fine amount of fuel spraying or oozing out from one of the parts. The fuel hose that mounts under the fuel pulsation dampener has a joint in it about 6 inches below the intake manifold, that would be a good spot to check, you need to look down between the intake manifold runners with a bright light shining on the metal portion of that hose.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Strong Gas Smell in Cabin after running Heater