S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stripped Spark Plug ; Timesert DIY

Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

good info in this thread!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to mine before when the car did that missfire it coughed the plug and threads with it.did it on both of my ap1s.seems to be a common thing.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That coil looks like an overcooked Jimmy Dean sausage!!
Old 12-09-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope to never have to do this, but great DIY..thanks for posting this up .
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One tip is to lower the piston in the bore and fill the cylinder with shaving cream before tapping the thread. Once you have finished turn the engine over and any swarf that has fallen into the cylinder is carried out by an angry looking shaving cream snake.

The shaving cream is essentially soap and moisturizer so wont do any damage. Leave a ball of shaving cream on the bench and its pretty much all gone in a day.

I normally just put 12" of plastic hose on the end of the shaving cream nozzle and fill the cylinder from the bottom.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_barry
One tip is to lower the piston in the bore and fill the cylinder with shaving cream before tapping the thread. Once you have finished turn the engine over and any swarf that has fallen into the cylinder is carried out by an angry looking shaving cream snake.

The shaving cream is essentially soap and moisturizer so wont do any damage. Leave a ball of shaving cream on the bench and its pretty much all gone in a day.

I normally just put 12" of plastic hose on the end of the shaving cream nozzle and fill the cylinder from the bottom.
Awesome trick, I love that, great advice to keep in mind, I hope I never have to use it.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:43 PM

thanks to this thread, i decided to check my coil packs/spark plugs. While i didn't have a melted coil pack, i did find a ripped spark plug seal w/ a pool of oil in one of my spark plug tubes! So glad this thread prompted me to check my plugs!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
thanks to this thread, i decided to check my coil packs/spark plugs. While i didn't have a melted coil pack, i did find a ripped spark plug seal w/ a pool of oil in one of my spark plug tubes! So glad this thread prompted me to check my plugs!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum
If you reinstall the valvecover try to gently coax the seals over the spark plug tubes with you fingers by rubbing around the top of the tubes, you can use a small bit of lube too. Some people expect the seals to slide down on their own but that usually ends up with a slit seal, the tops of the tubes are overly sharp.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by Chris_Lum' timestamp='1355175797' post='22201730
If you reinstall the valvecover try to gently coax the seals over the spark plug tubes with you fingers by rubbing around the top of the tubes, you can use a small bit of lube too. Some people expect the seals to slide down on their own but that usually ends up with a slit seal, the tops of the tubes are overly sharp.
yup, i made sure to not rip it this time! and yes those tubes are unnecessarily sharp!

Quick Reply: Stripped Spark Plug ; Timesert DIY