S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stripped Caliper bracket bolt..

Old 01-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Caliper bracket bolt..

Hello gentlemen,

I recently went to change out my rotors on my 01 s2k. To my dismay, I noticed the previous owner must of stripped the top caliper bracket bolt. I tried many tools, and none of them would remove the troublesome bolt. What are my options at this point? I dont really want to pay Honda over 100 dollars to remove a bolt. And I'm not sure if I can use one of those stripped bolt remover kits.

onfire01 bidding you a good day.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:13 AM

I would use a Dremel with a diamond wheel to file new flat surfaces at a smaller size. Use an adjustable wrench to get the old bolt out. Buy a new replacement.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:59 AM

Have you tried a vise grip? You are going to replace that bolt anyway so damaging it furthur should not be an issue. Use a beefy vise grip to get it REALLY TIGHT and use a rubber mallet to jolt the bolt loose by hammering the vise grip handle.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Banned

I tried a visegrip, and i tried PB blaster sitting overnight then giving it a go with the visegrips, they just round off the head of the bolt more..
Old 01-29-2007, 02:56 PM

drill it out.....use a drill bit smaller than the threaded end of the bolt..and make sure your dead freakin center on the bolt or you'll hit the brackets threads...once you drill the hole in there the peices should just fall out...and wouldn't the pb blaster stuff actually dry out after a whole night? try spraying it LIBERALLY...and only waiting about 15 min's to half hour.. ALSO heat is your friend here if you have any type of torch use it on the bracket the bolt is on...maybe i'tll expand just enough to break it loose...a friend of mine with an s told me it was the biggest pain in the ass to take his exhaust off...said he snapped like 3 of the 5 bolt heads right off after 45 minutes of trying on EACH BOLT...his car was completely cold sitting for a week...we took the same bolts off WITHOUT A BREAKER BAR cuz we did it on my car like 20 minutes after a full temperature drive(use gloves and be freakin careful what you touch ). honestly you need a bigger vise grip if its not working...the point the other poster was tryin to make is that you need the thing to create its own grip on the bolt itself...get teh biggest freakin vise grip you can and make damn sure its at the tightest setting you can physically put on it when its on the bolt...make the teeth of the thing literally make its own grip points in the bolts head. stop being a wussy YOU CAN DO IT!@# also i dunno how the bracket itself connects to the wheel but is there any chance you can take the bracket itself off and take the whole assembly to a machine shop for them to drill it out? i don't know if this is possible so don't flood me with crap saying it won't work.