S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stripped bolt on transmission

Old 03-21-2024, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stripped bolt on transmission

Hey guys

I was changing out my transmission fluid by myself today for the first time, and ended up taking off a wrong bolt.

I thought that it was a drain bolt, but it is attached to a sensor

When I went to put it back on, I had it set to the same torque settings as everything else, and stripped it

Does anyone know how I can extract the broken bolt and get this fixed?

I called Honda and they said I needed a zert kit or something like that. I have an appointment scheduled with them in a couple days, but if anyone here can walk me through it and save me some money, that would be amazing.

Old 03-21-2024, 03:13 PM

So from further reading, I see that that is the speed sensor.

My question now, is what would happen if my speed sensor fell off?

It seems to be secured on there really well with the bolt being stripped in the hole.

Would it be a bad idea just to run it the way it is tell the sensor needs replaced or the transmission needs work?

I read another thread somewhere about someone else that had the same bolt stripped, and they had to drop the transmission to replace it

I’m not far enough along in my mechanical skills to have the confidence or ability to do that, so it would probably be several hundred dollars to pay Honda to do it, which would not be ideal
Old 03-21-2024, 04:12 PM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

How far in is the broken part, from the horrible pictures, looks like if you were to just pull off the speed sensor, you could use a pair of vice grips and remove it by hand and just replace the bolt
Old 03-21-2024, 04:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

It will come out easy since you broke it off while tightening.

Take a flathead screwdriver bit and try to kinda slot it onto the broken metal and just twist it out.

It'll come right out.

Buy a new screw and torque it to its spec. Don't drive the car like that.

Last edited by B serious; 03-22-2024 at 02:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bad_driver (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 10:42 AM

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,086 Posts

If you have Honda dealer do this, I will be shocked if bill ends up less than $1,500.

The last place I'd ever bring my S is dealership. Not because of their outrageous and unjustified cost, but their incompetence. Worse, they make you pay when they screw up.

Its unclear if issue is threads in transmission stripped, or if bolt snapped. Please clarify.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:12 PM

Thank you all! One thing that this helped me realize is that the internal threads may be just fine after all. I appreciate all of your help.

I tried to pull off the speed sensor, and that thing wouldn’t budge. I was afraid of breaking it, so ended up filling the hole(where the bolt broke off) with a mixture of red Loctite and loctite super glue.

After it dried, that baby was even more secure.

I think I will be able to Dremel out all of that stuff if I ever need to, and plan on being under the car quite often for fluid changes to check on it
Old 03-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by tyronebiggums
Thank you all! One thing that this helped me realize is that the internal threads may be just fine after all. I appreciate all of your help.

I tried to pull off the speed sensor, and that thing wouldn’t budge. I was afraid of breaking it, so ended up filling the hole(where the bolt broke off) with a mixture of red Loctite and loctite super glue.

After it dried, that baby was even more secure.

I think I will be able to Dremel out all of that stuff if I ever need to, and plan on being under the car quite often for fluid changes to check on it

^That is a bad idea.

Red loctite is an anaerobic thread retaining compound, not some sort of glue. Meaning it will never dry in the presence of air.

Also even if it did dry, that stud is literally doing nothing. Why do you want it to stay in? That's making the problem worse. You need to remove it. Not retain it.

You should *carefully* unplug and remove the speed sensor and dremel a slot in that broken stud and just use a slotted screw driver to twist it out.

Or take it to a shop. Have them extract it via bolt extractor. Its an easy task.

Then install a new M6x1mm thread screw of the right length. Torque it to 8LB-FT.

Last edited by B serious; 03-22-2024 at 02:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by B serious:
Mr.Matchbox (03-23-2024), windhund116 (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 04:49 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

You need someone to remove the broken stud, clean the threads, and replace it with a new bolt. Do you know anyone that has an Easy-Out screw extractor set?

I would not drive the car without the speed sensor being secured with the proper bolt.

There are no other options.

Last edited by windhund116; 03-22-2024 at 06:25 PM.