S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange Torque Steer

Old 10-03-2004, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Strange Torque Steer

For the past week am feeling huge amount of like torque steer pulling on to the right side. Even when cruising at low revs in 4th gear, i slightly tap on the gas and the car pulls on the right, even when holding the steering wheel firm. Mind you, the steering wheel doesn't pull at all (unlike FWD). The car just goes to the right. Am sure that the symptoms are not the NORMAL torque steer. Tyres are a month old and balanced, and tyre pressure is perfect on all 4 wheels. The car is standard and RHD, with 17K Km on the clock.

Can someone shed some light on this symptom please

Thanks
Old 10-03-2004, 05:40 PM

Have you tried wheel/suspension alignment?
Old 10-03-2004, 06:13 PM

Received 299 Likes on 147 Posts

[Edit] nevermind.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Almost always a tire pressure imbalance.. check the rears again.. or diameter difference.. make sure identical tires were mounted.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, you said that you've checked tire pressures which would've been my first suggestion. Has anything been changed on the car recently? Have you hit any curbs? Anything else been done to the car?
If it isn't tire pressure and all the tires are new, the only other thing I could think of would be alignment. I guess you could also check the torque on your lug nuts, but I wouldn't think that would cause these symptoms.
I don't know what else to tell you. Double-check your tire pressures, just to be sure.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:00 PM

Are the two rear tyres perfectly matched? ie not differing brands or tread pattern or differing wear?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:02 PM

Thanks for all the help here. Both tyres are same thread/brand. Tyre pressure is checked regularly. The strange thing is that it only pulls to one side after hitting the gas. What am saying here is:
If i had to slightly turn the steering wheel an inch to the left. The car would go to the left. While holding the steering in this position, i press on the gas pedal and the car pulls to the right. As soon as i leave the gas pedal it will go back to the left. So the car ONLY pulls when accelerating.
Could it be something wrong with the Diff, transferring torque only to the left wheel ?

I don't think alignment or tyre wear is an issue as it would be a constant factor and not only when accelerating.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:27 AM

I think the rear wheels may not be aligned with the direction the front are pointing.

When I first bought my car, it had two similar treaded tyres of different brands on the back and gave those exact symptoms. When I accelerated I had to correct the steering and inch and when you back off you have to correct the other way.

Since you have counted out those factors, and tyres pressure, I would suggest it is the rear wheel alignment.

At least have a chat with your local tyres shop and they may be able to give you a better idea.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trip,Oct 4 2004, 02:02 AM
Tyre pressure is checked regularly.
You state that you check the tire pressure regularly, but since this symptom is nearly always associated with loss of pressure in one of the rear tires, please check it again now and report back as to the values. I only suggest this because of several other threads that I was involved with in which the pull turned out to actually be tire pressure after all.

If it really isn't pressure than you have to start trouble-shooting. In addition to alignment, there could be a tire defect that could result in the pull. Inspect the tires carefully for any bulges or tread irregularities. If the symptoms started soon after you replaced the tires, it is possible that you received a defective tire. One way to check is to temporarily switch the left and right rear wheels and see if the pull changes directions. If so, you've isolated the problem. If that doesn't do it, switch the left and right front wheels and see if the pull changes. If the pull is still the same in all of these trials, it is almost certainly a suspension issue. Don't forget to put the wheels back in their proper locations after all this testing and then visit the alignment shop.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like suspension mount could be loose. Or failing or loosly mounted ball joint or suspension bushing. Moving a little when torqued could easily steer the car.

Alignment or tire wear could easily have a varying effect under load, not constant as you speculate. Alignment problems are often difficult to diagnose by feel.

You have been given good advice. You really can't figure out more until you check what has been suggested.

Tire wear and pressure.
4 wheel alignment. Should check all components and mounts at the same time.

If this doesn't do it, could be diff as well. Limited slip could have a problem adding torque to one wheel when it isn't supposed to. And it could interact with any other problems on the rear as well.

Quick Reply: Strange Torque Steer