S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange rear end "wag"

Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to jack up the car, would I be able to tell if the hub bearing was "loose" or worn? There is no vertical/horizontal play on the wheels now but it may need a bit of torque to induce the play.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:18 AM

What you are feeling is just the normal operation of the torsen LSD loading and unloading as you get on and off the power respectively. My 2000 model on OE tires does the same thing. It took me a while to get used to when I first got the car.

Andrew
Old 08-25-2004, 10:04 AM

aklucsarits, If this is the case then why the sudden onset of this extreme "Load/unloading" ... Is my diff going bad? The car did NOT exhibit this behaviour in the past... It started with around 27K miles on the car.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:07 AM

Probably a quick way to tell if its the spindle thats cracked is to get it up in the air and see if there is any play with the rear wheels. If there is your problem probably has been found. I think you mention that you checked that already tho, am i correct? If you can get it on a lift see if the whole rear end moves when you push in on one of the wheels. Then I'd tighten all the bolts and then see what happens from there.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:10 AM

I just jack up the car and all is tight and no cracks to be seen.... I also just put the emergency brake on and put the car into gear and slowly let the clutch out and noticed that each tire toe's in quite a bit and straightens back out when the clutch is disengaged...
To me this is not normal and should not be toe'ing in to such an extreme.

This would explain the tracking being different while getting on /off the throttle. One side may be worse than the other, which would explain the big difference while taking left hand sweepers and the gear change is needed at the exit.

Coorect me if Iam wrong here ... But the logical step is to replace the Trail Arms as it seems that the bushings are weak.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:48 PM

stks2k,
once i saw the headline of you post i HAD to chim in. I thought it was just me being paronoid as so did everyone i knew, but i too have the EXACT same problem. Ive checked everything bolts, bearings axles, boots, alignment, just about everything and still come to the same dilema as you. I am also running the Yoko es100's with about 3k on them as well. When i take long left hand sweepers such as on-ramp's it feels like my car wants to break out with intense understeer and and the steering and rear feel very loose like there is way too much toe in. Same with you as i apply throttle the rear seems to sway/swag to one side on shifts it "tucks" back in. Well basically with me and you going the same route to solve this, what is going to be your next procedure to try and figure this out because i am all out of ideas and it just doesnt even feel like a road hugging S anymore? I just cant seem to figure this out and thought i was the only person experencing this.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:05 PM

I beleive that there IS way too much toe in... as from my last test with the car in the air, and the ebrake ON... I engane the clutch slowly ...the wheels should not spin. What I saw was the wheels toe'ing in to the extreme... One side was slightly more extreme than the other..

This would cause the alignment to be way out of spec while loading the diff (throttle ON) and the load being on one side of the car while turning.

I have seen the GoFast Labs solution to this and believe that this may my solution as well... The cost is a bit high for me as I do not track or AutoX... But there is something that is worn and is onlt felt when torque and the load is unbalanced as while taking these sweepers.

It would be very interesting to haer from anyone who may have installed the GoFast Lab Arms to see if they experience any improvments, if this arm is indeed the root cause.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:51 PM

Hello,

I don't own an S2000 "YET" but just recently I was dealing with a similar issue on my FWD GTI. The car would track to the left everytime I would get on the gas and then strighten itself back out again when I let off the gas. I could reproduce this at will, at any speed and on any road. I actually replaced everything you guys tried and none of them fixed my problem. After $1000K in parts I decided to get serious and torn every suspension/axle component off the car one day and inspected everything like a specimen. What I came up with was very interesting. In my case the problem ended up being a Worn Wheel Bearing Housing on the left side front wheel. (In your case it may be the rear wheel housing) I had replaced the wheel bearings prior trying to fix this issue but overlooked the housing itself. After replacing the wheel bearing housing assembly my problem is now fixed. I know these are very different vehicles but the problems you are experiencing are very similar to what I was experiencing in a front wheel drive car just a month ago. It may be worth your time to check into this. Unfortunatly it's not something one can do without a teardown of the bearing/axle housing itself.

Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2004, 03:57 PM

turbo02gti , I appreciate the insight.. You are in the know on the symptoms.. I will be taking a very close look at the wheel bearings/hubs before any parts are purchased...

I know that some on this forum have said that this is"Normal" for the S, but there is no way that this is Normal.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar (if not the same) problem. Check my thread for the solution:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=239635

Hope this helps.