S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange rear end "wag"

Old 08-25-2004, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure your rear suspension is holding an alignment? Bent steering arms? Bent tie rods? Bent track rods? Worn bushings? Missing bushings?

It's something in your suspension. Yes, it was aligned when they pulled it off the rack, but that doesn't mean it'll hold the alignment; something is walking on you, and it may be the front.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:25 AM

Yes the alignment "holds" but it does feel as if something (rear) is walking while accelarating/ decelarating.

Belts on the Tire have been eliminated as this started with a very old set od S0's and I had then suspected this was the problem and went to the Yoko's.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alexf20c,Aug 25 2004, 09:08 AM
Are you sure your rear suspension is holding an alignment? Bent steering arms? Bent tie rods? Bent track rods? Worn bushings? Missing bushings?

It's something in your suspension. Yes, it was aligned when they pulled it off the rack, but that doesn't mean it'll hold the alignment; something is walking on you, and it may be the front.
He said that his alignment was still within spec when he had it aligned last to the UK specs. I don't really see any way that this could be related to the front at all. If the front alignment were off, or the front tires were bad, it would pull under all driving conditions.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:34 AM
Former Sponsor

You could try changing your differential oil to see if it is better or worse. I don't really know of any other way to rule out the Torsen LSD.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:43 AM

Ok friend, I am here to help you. I have dealt with the same problem so you are not alone, and neither am I now. You need to check 2 areas.... 1 being your rear half axles make sure the hubnut is on there tight and that there are no cracks where the bolt meets the threads. Do you have a clicking sound in the rear? If all is well there then good! #2. Depending on what kind of access you have to a lift and tools... get it on a lift and check every damn bolt on the rear end. More than likely you have some bolts that are loose and your whole rear suspension assembly is loose and if it gets all the way loose you will be in for quite a ride. However, I think my broken axle was the culprit of all my problems. Dont push your car until you get it fixed. I am quite certain that you are dealing with one of the 2 issues or both like i did.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:14 AM

Gernby, I have changed the diff fluid last week with Redline and no change in symptom.. The fluid that was drianed was in good shape (no metal).

Doelmike2, I do not have the "Clicking" but check the hub nut is worth checking . I will perform this tonight. As for tightening all of the rear suspension bolts, this was done by the dealer... atleast they said they did this. I will also check this myself.
Did you find the root cause? Do you still have the same problem?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:15 AM

Check your tire pressures as well.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:47 AM

As far as the initial cause, a broken/ cracked axle shaft was the cause of the shimmy/ wag. It was cracked right where the hub nut goes on as the moron (whoever it was) that worked on the car before I owned it cross-threaded the hub nut. You wont actually see that crack unless you take the hubnut off and the tire off. After repairing the axle shaft the swerving rearend went away for the most part, but then a couple weeks later this GOD awful noise started happening,. I could explain the noise but its irrelevant at this point. So I took it to a reliable and trust worthy mechanic and had him check it out. They never pinpointed what was causing the noise, but they noticed that they could push in on the left wheel and the whole rearend would shift and shake right to left and vice-versa. They got under the car with an impact wrench and tightened everything, they said a couple bolts were indeed loose and the myserious noise went away. I would deem to say it sounds to me like the axle would be the first place I'd check, probably the left one as it seems to be the one that has given other owners problem as well. Has anyone noticed that the left and right half shafts arent the same length, left being shorter in length, i wonder if thats why it tends to be the one that breaks?
Old 08-25-2004, 07:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Dolemike,

From your description, it wasn't you half axle that broke. The outer CV noint is the part that extends through the hub and is secured by the spindle nut. Both of the CV joints can be replaced separately without replacing the half axle.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:33 AM

Arrow

Dammit, are you kidding me! I guess that now that you mention it, that would make perfect sense. Well, I still have the old shaft assembly too for spare parts. Atleast I didnt spend all THAT much money on the repairs, I found a used one about an hour away from where I live and did the repairs in a friends shop. So with that said, Stks2k... thatd be cv joint not axle shaft. Also, if it IS indeed cv joint, check your hub bearing too, it could be damaged.

Quick Reply: Strange rear end "wag"