S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange rear end "wag"

Old 08-24-2004, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange rear end "wag"

I hope that I am describing this in a way that the experts can shed some light on possible causes.

Stock MY00, Tires =Yoko ES100's new w/ about 3K miles, Stock size front 245/45 rear. Pressures 32f 35r. Aligned to UK specs 2 weeks ago in an effort to resolve symptoms. Car was never in any accidents. No changes to suspension. All stock.
This symptom has just manifested as the car did not exhibit this behavior in the past

While accelerating it feels like the rear or the car is tracking to one side. When rowing thru the gears at a spirited pace, when the clutch is disengaged to shift, the rear of car seems to "tuck" back in . Once the gear change is complete and I step back on the accelerator , the car goes right back to feeling like it is not tracking straight.

While taking sweeping right hand corners and a shift is needed at the exit the rear of the car slighlty "wags" or "tucks" back in ... While taking the same sweeping LEFT hand corner with the same gear change needed at the exit, the rear of the car "wags" or "tucks" back in excessively.

This can be reproduced during very slow, large radius, sweeping corners, like exit and on ramps, traction nowhere near the limits (Crabbing/Pushing?) It is almost like trying to roll an ice cream cone in a straight line. but this only happens while accelerating/decelerating. (torque steer?)

I have taken the car to the dealer and they say all looks fine ... Taken to a frame/alignment shop and they suspected the right rear lower control arm- replaced and still have the same problem. They also stated that the diff mount bushings look like one side was weaker than the other ... They swaped the bushing to see if the problem would be noticed now while taking the right hand sweepers... No change.

All of this work is being done on warranty so, so far no expense to me.. But no one seems to be able to put their finger on the problem and it sure does make the car really unstable on these left hand sweepers.

Any advise on possible causes is appreciated.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:39 PM
God

this may sound silly but I'll ask anyway...

Does it handle like this all time? or is it only on certain roads?

I swore something was wrong with my suspension for about a week until I figured out it was just the section of freeway I take to work everyday.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:08 PM

I'm sure you have done this, but please also check carefully your rear tire pressures.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:47 AM
Kye

It sounds like rear alignment to me.

//Kye
Old 08-25-2004, 02:17 AM

I too notice the same problem. I do however have a slow leak in my rear drivers side tire. Because of the low profile of our tires, you may not think it is low on air, but check it, and let us know. I checked mine the other day, it was down to 19PSI.....the other rear tire was at almost 40PSI....HOT....cold, it would be even less!
Old 08-25-2004, 04:25 AM

Thanks for the reply's... The rear tire pressures are both at 35 cold. The alignment was the first thing I suspected so I had a fresh alignment done to UK specs, the OEM alignment was not out of spec prior to the UK settings being applied.

This can be felt on any stretch of road while taking left hand turns... All that is really needed to reproduce this is a slight left turn and the throttle is let up a bit and it, (the rear end) really tucks back in. Sqeeze the throttle a bit and it feels like the car is understeering drastically. While taking right had turns this is not felt.

Here is a diagram of how the car feels:

f | \ r

All rear suspension components do not show any signs of wear, and the right rear lower control arm was replaced as it was suspect.

I am at a loss for a solution to this and wondering if a bad shock or spring on the right rear could cause this symptom.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:47 AM

Run more tire presure in fronts vs rears usually a 2 lb difference ie. 35f 33r. This wag happens on my 01 when making fast moves at auto x and shifting usually causing a shift to the other side when correcting. Tire presure helped and setting koni yellows on full stiff on front and koni rears only a 1/4 turn below full stiff, also a verystiff front sway bar flattened the rear and planted it so I would not roll at all and lift the inside rear wheel. Love the UK spec alignment.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think this is the problem, but your rear pressures are too high. A 245/45 should be 32 PSI when hot. As far as your wagging problem, I don't know, unless one of your rears is more worn than the other. Your high pressure in the rear is probably causing accellerated wear on both rears in the center of the tires, and the right rear wears faster than the left. I think you should compare both rear tires side by side, then swap them to the other side of the car. The tires are directional, but it only matters (a little bit) in the rain. If the wags to the opposite direction after swapping the rear tires, you know what to do. The only other wild ass guess is that you have a defective Torsen causing unequal power to be applied to the wheels.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:37 AM

From your reply a gather that assuming that my stock sway bars are still in good shape (not broken) which they aren't and move freely, The tire pressure should be higher in front and that my springs/shocks may be the root cause of this sudden onset of the "strange wag" while taking left hand turns.

Is there a way I can check the shocks/springs to see if they are going bad?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:39 AM

gernby is right. I think you may have a belt problem in one of your tires. Do what gernby said. You can also put your rear tires on a balancer and watch them track. See if the tread pattern movers left or right at speed. I use to sell tires and I have seen similar problems caused by this.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Strange rear end "wag"