S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange rear clicks/metallic squeak

Old 02-29-2008, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My exhaust was tapping the axles/diff bolts. I thought the rear was going bad but I saw the mark on the exhaust. I bent the hangars and it went away.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^interesting....glad that's all it was for you. your situation wouldn't really be speed dependant like the OP's though
Old 02-29-2008, 10:45 AM

I also noticed that the noise is somewhat dependant on if the pavement is rough
Old 02-29-2008, 11:45 AM

I agree with my2k, it's probably your hub. My right hub has the single click from time to time but I always put the 1/2 titanium imapct on it and that holds it off for another 6 months or so..
Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Feb 29 2008, 01:22 PM
^^interesting....glad that's all it was for you. your situation wouldn't really be speed dependant like the OP's though
Yes it was rotational, or speed dependent. As the axle/diff flange spun, one of the bolts would hit the edge of the exhaust.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Feb 29 2008, 08:10 AM
here's the way this works: if your axle nuts haven't been torqued to 220 lb/ft, then eventually they will likely allow enough wear/play in the wheel bearing/hub assembly to start causing some damage. this starts as a clicking, which sounds like a cv joint going bad. re-torquing the axle nut should quieten this for a while, but the noise indicates that at least some level of damage has occurred, and it will come back; after a while, you will get a kind of metallic sounding rotational squeak, and now the time has come to replace your wheel bearing and/or hub (see this thread https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry12436776) my personal experience was that the clicking was intermittent, and didn't seem to be affected by heat, but once the metallic squeak appeared, it only occurred after the car had been driven for a while. good luck
Now that you mentioned "metallic squeak"
I am thinking the noise I am hearing actually does sound more like series of intermittent squeaks.

Could you describe the symptoms you had in more detail?

Right now I need at least around 20~30min of driving for the noise to come out. and only can hear it at below 40km/h. The noise occurs whether i am turning or going straight and whether i am in gear or neutral.

I've brought it to my local tunershop today and the mechanic told me it could possibly be the diff too. My fingers crossed it's not an expensive fix.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:29 AM

doubt it's the diff. can you pinpoint the noise to one side or the other? if you can, it's most likely the bearing/hub on that side. the noise won't be noticeable at high speeds...you'll hear it as you're slowing down, with the car in neutral or in gear, clutch in or out, going straight or turning. depending on which side it's on, turning may relieve the load and make it a bit less noticeable. from a stop, you probably can't hear the noise under acceleration, but when you lift off the throttle to shift, it should show up for that split second or so.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Mar 1 2008, 05:29 AM
doubt it's the diff. can you pinpoint the noise to one side or the other? if you can, it's most likely the bearing/hub on that side. the noise won't be noticeable at high speeds...you'll hear it as you're slowing down, with the car in neutral or in gear, clutch in or out, going straight or turning. depending on which side it's on, turning may relieve the load and make it a bit less noticeable. from a stop, you probably can't hear the noise under acceleration, but when you lift off the throttle to shift, it should show up for that split second or so.
I wasn't able to pinpoint the noise to either side, perhaps both hub/bearings were bad.

The mechanic recommended a diff fluid change first and go from there.

Is it possible to determine if there is hub/bearing damage by visual inspection?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lunacy,Mar 1 2008, 10:16 AM
I wasn't able to pinpoint the noise to either side, perhaps both hub/bearings were bad.
if it's a bearing, it really should be pretty obvious which side it's coming from. the odds of both bearings going bad at the same time are...well, you know. if it sounds like it's in the center, then it could be the diff. i agree with the mechanic, get the fluid changed and inspect the old fluid for bits of metal or anything else that looks suspicious.

Is it possible to determine if there is hub/bearing damage by visual inspection?
nope. and if the bearing is just starting to go bad, it may not even have the traditional signs of a bad bearing (having play in the wheel, a rough grinding feeling as you spin the wheel slowly.) like i said before: if you haven't re-torqued the axle nut to 220 lb/ft yet, do that. if the sound goes away, then it's probably the bearing. at some point it will probably come back, and the bearing will need to be replaced.