S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange rattle? at warm start up.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange rattle? at warm start up.

Hola all,

Okay so there has been this issue I've been having for a while, been kinda troublesome.

So when the car is already warm. I press the clutch and start the car, the car makes a rattle type sound and the rpm drops. It'll make the sound for a second, two, or 3. When the sound goes away, the rpm also goes to normal idle.

Now sometimes to avoid this, I would start the car as usual, but quickly take my foot off the clutch as soon as the car starts. Doing so most of the time avoids the sound.

Also a test done the other day that just came to mind, is with the car on. Clutch is pressed in, rev the engine a little. When the rpm's come back down, it will also dip below the normal level and the rattle/chatter will sound.

So it seems like this usually happens when the clutch pedal is pressed in.

It's happened ever since I got the car. I've put 12k miles thus far and changed the TCT and clutch (sound happened before and after change of these two).

Any insight appreciated. My apologizes if my explanation is kind of rough around the edges. lol

Thanks!

:edit: now I just found out the drops happen when the clutch isn't pressed in either.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 PM

Where does the rattle sound like its coming from and was the TCT new or used that u replaced with?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 PM

I'm not too positive where it's coming from to be honest. As far as the TCT, I replaced it with a brand new one from Honda.

I took a video since it'd probably better explain it. New development, it does it without pressing in the clutch. The last few drops in rpm is without pressing the clutch in at all. Which is concerning me more now. Car still drives and runs like a champ aside from that.

Hope this can shed some light on my problem and maybe someone with experience can direct me in the right direction!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 PM

Check the tension on the throttle cable. My04 did the same thing at one time until I got rid of a little slack in the cable. Overall from looking at the video, your idle is too low. I believe it should sit at 1k rpm or just under
Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

see if your throttle body cable is loose!

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/884...#entry20829085

mine was but i dont think i had a rattle like you did, but doesnt hurt to try
Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 PM

thanks for the replies guy. i got so excited i went out to try it right away, unfortunately... wasn't the cure

although the throttle cable did have some slack, so it wasn't all bad. btw the idle is usually at just about 1k.

Maybe my TB is getting stuck. Maybe there's a bunch of grim on the butterfly? i'll have to check that after work tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:45 PM

Holy shit, mine does this all the time too. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This sounds a lot like mine did last year. Thanks to the UTH forum, I isolated it to loose material in the cat. Mine had a more metallic sound than yours though even inside the car.
Worth checking?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SROWfaTf1s0[/media]
Old 03-21-2012, 07:54 AM

sounds like your problem

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/938...dle-sometimes/
Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 AM

Vince, hopefully we find a solution to this then!

Sabre, I'll look into that. Typically when I've had a cat go out it would affect drive-ability and rattle more often. But still definitely something to look into. Thanks for the tip.

AP2 S2K, thanks for that link. Relearning sounds like the perfect price to do, freeeee. lol. Definitely going to give that a whirl. Was also thinking the IAC, so I'm going to try that also. Hope to find a cure!

Too all, you guy have been much helpful. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Strange rattle? at warm start up.