S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange noise from the rear

Old 11-20-2019, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Strange noise from the rear

Hey guys I've been having an issue and i'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post in (I think it is but I'm new here so if I am wrong please let me know) but I'd appreciate any advice.

My 2005 with 96k miles started making a strange noise after just installing BC Racing BR coilovers and getting an alignment (camber at -1 in the front and -3 in the rear). I only hear it with the top up, and it only occurs above 40mph usually but it's not consistent, it comes and goes until I am about 55-60 mph and then its pretty consistent. It doesn't seem to be related to how fast I am going, as it always stays the same so I've ruled out that it's coming from my tires. (which I know I need new ones, will be getting those next week) It happens while I am in gear and out of gear, and I haven't found another thread on a similar issue which is why I am making this one. It sounds like a whirring / grinding / clunking noise and doesn't seem to change whether I am turning or going straight or if the car is cold or hot, it's just always there. I can try to get a video of it but it is hard to hear on video. The thing I can compare it most to is the noise you hear when you adjust coilovers that have dirt on the threads, and then when I hit bumps sometimes it'll make a soft quiet clunking noise but again it's not consistent. I believe its coming from the rear end and originally thought wheel bearings as I used to have issues with those on my civic, but when jacking the car up and testing for play(made sure the ebrake was down, and wheels were able to spin freely), there is none at all and it's not consistent. I then started thinking possible diff problems but I honestly don't know anything about those as this is my first RWD car. Nothing is rubbing, I went back through everything I touched while installing the coils and nothing is loose, everything seems like it should be okay so I am going crazy trying to find this noise. It still drives fine and I am just unsure of where to go from here. Any opinions would be appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Iyan112 (12-02-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 10:23 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

maybe they are just noisy coilovers?
Old 11-20-2019, 10:33 AM

jyeung528 I was thinking that might be a possibility but it's just so annoying to hear and with as many other people that I have read that run BC Coils I haven't read anything that describes what I am hearing :/ Also I wasn't hearing the noise immediately after the install, I got the alignment 2 days later and that's when I started noticing the noise which makes me think if it is the coils then it just took a while to settle? But my main thought was that it had something to do with the alignment. The Honda dealer I go to has been known to not be the greatest sometimes but they're the only place I know of around me that knows S2000s decently.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

did they reset the angle of the control arms to relieve the load on the bushings?

your bushing might be shot.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:30 PM

To be honest I have no clue, I can take a look at it when I get a chance this weekend. I'll be sure to update this if I find anything out.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:18 AM

Hey so quick update, after looking at it myself for a quick 30 minutes, I decided I had time to take it to the Honda dealership and I had a conversation with the tech there (who was apparently was the most knowledgeable tech they have) and we went on a drive so I could recreate the noise for him. I was able to hear it, but as I said it is a pretty quiet noise. He was unable to hear it but that's understandable as I was having a hard time describing the noise and I knew what I was listening for, where he did not. After the drive he put it up in the air on the lift and double checked I did everything right when I installed the coilovers, he double checked the tech's work who did the alignment, and just made sure everything in general was tight and looked for any signs of problems. I guess fortunately and also unfortunately, he couldn't find anything and said there was no play in pretty much anything that shouldn't have play. That's good news because it means my undercarriage and parts are all doing well, but it also means I have no clue what this noise is. He didn't open the diff, so I am now leaning towards it being something inside there as there are no signs of issues on the outside, and it only makes sense. I'm going to open it up and change the diff fluid tomorrow so hopefully Ill know a little more then.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 422 Likes on 386 Posts

Thought about drive shaft spacers ?much lower than oem,