S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange misfiring.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange misfiring.

Now then people,

I have just yesterday developed a problem with berly...

Quickly. Want this post in 3 sentences skip to the end...

To state - I have searched through misfire topics and have drawn some conclusions from other topics and also a place to start to find a solution to my problem but my biggest concern is the fact I can't seem to find anyone else who has had a similar problem to me... Anyway.

Yesterday I did a 120 mile journey. Half of it motorway cruising at ~80mph, the latter half back roads. Primarily cruising with the occasional blast but nothing ridiculous.

I arrived a my destination, everything hunky dory, parked her up and left her for 10 minutes. Decided I wanted to nip to the shop for a few beers for the evening. Went to start her up... Rough sound (scubi-esque). Cel flashing. Didn't even pull her out from the car park, I unbolted the battery terminal and left her overnight. Immediate diagnosis: 3 cylinders.

Next morning, knowing something was wrong I decided to reconnect the battery and start her up hoping the EMS cleared and it would run as per (you have to be hopeful eh?). Anyway. Sounded horrific again, I started getting more concerned about the issue.

Strangely. I left her idling while a messed about packing my stuff into the boot ready for my trip home as - how murphy dictates - this happens as soon as I arrive in the Scottish highlands and there's only one way I'm getting home, as much as it makes me cry, limping a blinking cls s2 home, maybe 10 minutes into idle. The idle instantly sounds normal. All cylinders. ~1k. Consistent revs. Cel stopped flashing. Perfect. Took her a very quick spin without pushing her anywhere near 6k everything seemed as normal.

Now from then, every time I start her she starts in a similar pattern. Painful to begin wi. Then out of no where. Smooth as anything. Bravely took her to the vtec a couple if time to see if that has any problems. It appears conceivably perfect too.
Strangely, every subsequent time it decides to run well at a different point from startup. Sometimes 5 mins. Sometimes upto 30 mins.

So in a sentence:
Car starts up idling/running rough as a badgers, after an arbitrary time decides actually it's is ok, and I can't find anyone else with this problem.

Car FSH serviced 6months. Since I've owed her. Oil/filter change every 3 months. For the last year. Maintained adequate oil levels. Burning minimal oil, if any. Spark plugs done 6 months ago; torqued to spec. Tct done 6 months ago. 5w40 castrol fst titanium.

I know if I start her tomorrow it will be horrific, yet after a random point she will run ok. I don't have an odbc at hand to check the error code and I am going to take her to a garage in Monday but what I'm after is some advice or wisdom on a problem like this? Any experience?

Cheers for reading the essay, hopefully it has somewhere all the info anyone needs (and a horrific amount of excessive details)
Earl.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It definitely seems like a cold start issue then, and once it warms up, no more issue. One detail you REALLY need, especially since this is so consistent, is a readout of your fault codes. You need to know if it's one cylinder, random cylinders, the same cylinder every time. Gotta know that before you can get any further.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 PM

That's how my car was. Rough idle I had a blinking cel during idle. I ended up getting a valve adjustment and everything seems so much better.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:21 AM

Could be a couple of things. A leaky injector would leak fuel into the chamber, which could cause rough idle and operation until it was fully expelled. Try starting it cold, then immediately shut it off and pull the plugs to see if any are wet or unusually fouled. If you do find one, there are more than a few how-to's online about cleaning injectors.

Might also be a bad coil pack. Do the same as above, except put everything back and then switch the corresponding coil pack with a different one to see if the problem follows.

As Polaris mentioned, you really need to get the codes pulled to get a better idea of what's going on.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:45 PM

I ordered a obd reader a few weeks ago from eBay, hopefully it's arrived when I get back this trip. The next issue I'm having is - it did this for about 3 days. And since then it has started faultlessly every time. Gremlins. I would rather know the issue and rectify than have it come back knowing my luck when I go on another long-ish distance journey or try to sell the thing

Fingers crossed it breaks again haha.

Cheers guys
Earl
Old 10-19-2014, 12:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine turned to be a leaky headgasket read below...

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/109...-on-hot-start/
Old 10-23-2014, 03:52 PM

mine seems to be a bad headgasket as well. watch my vid to see if it is the exact same as yours.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...n-startup-vid/