S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange Issue?Hitting a wall

Old 06-15-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Issue?Hitting a wall

Hi,

I just bought a 2002 Berlina Black S2K. When I drive it feels like Im hitting a wall between 5 and 6000 rpm in either 2nd or third (sluggish). I was wondering if someone could provide some insight into what this might be or what I should check. I figure that I shouldnt even be close to hitting this wall as the car makes power betwen 7 and 8.3K rpms right??
Old 06-15-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wisconsin, have you reset to '0' yet?

Your car hasn't warmed up enough. VTEC uses oil pressure, driven by temperature. Wait until your engine temperature has "3 bars" lit up and you will be fine.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:57 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the response. It seems to do this even when warm. Just feels like its being ( trying to find the right words here..) held back or muffled from revving through any of the gears. Is there a way to see if there are any error codes or??
Old 06-15-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by skyss2k,Jun 15 2005, 09:57 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the response. It seems to do this even when warm. Just feels like its being ( trying to find the right words here..) held back or muffled from revving through any of the gears. Is there a way to see if there are any error codes or??
Are you sure you have reached "3 bars" on the temp guage? If you have and it still won't rev to redline, then you have a problem. It could be this:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=253242
If you have hard codes, your Engine Malfunction Light will be on (aka: Check Engine Light). No light, no codes worth looking at.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:31 PM

Thanks...Looks like simply unplugging the map sensor on top off the TB and some light taps may have done it. The car has 26K miles so Im guessing the warranty covers the fix for that right? or...??

Id really like to drive one that is running well near Ontario Calif to determine if mine has any issues or not. Right now I dont have away of comparing it.

As for the other advice somewhere here on the forums about check valve..what exactly is that about?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The car has 26K miles so Im guessing the warranty covers the fix for that right? or...??
It's not really a warranty claim. It's more of a Technical Service Bulletin. Ask your dealer for the final word on this.

As for the other advice somewhere here on the forums about check valve..what exactly is that about?
This could mean one of 2 things. It could mean to have your valve clearances checked or it could have reference to the one-way check valve that is part of the emissions control system. The one-way check valve would give you a CEL. Bad valve adjustment would affect overall power delivery and not create the "wall" you speak of.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by afwfjustin,Jun 15 2005, 10:52 PM
Wisconsin, have you reset to '0' yet?

Your car hasn't warmed up enough. VTEC uses oil pressure, driven by temperature. Wait until your engine temperature has "3 bars" lit up and you will be fine.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I know what you mean. It's due to running out of the peak rpm's for your lower cam before it goes into VTEC. Power doesn't increase much in the 5-6K range. It feels like the same powerband of a stock V6/V8 until you actually get the VTEC cam in and then it's away from there. If so, that's normal.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no he's referring to the premature rev limiter that kicks in at about 6k when the car's engine (coolant specifically) is not up to temp.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:36 PM

Hi Guys,

Okay let me clear things up. Having been a former SRT-4 owner, the car I own now is night and day compared to that car. Not to slam the SRT-4 which a fine car in its own right, this car is simply more refined.

The power delivery on the two cars is completely different and both get the job done in a completely different way. Dont get me wrong I love forced induction and the wonderful sound of a blow off valve. However, the Honda is the naturally aspirated beast that could. I had the opportunity to embarass a porsche boxster today. The VTEC sound...I get now ( dont bash never quite experienced that before). The 9000 RPM compared to the 6500 RPM on the SRT-4 is simply an attestment to Japanese engineering ( amazing). As for torque Im really surprised that the Honda which makes 150ish compared to anywhere between 260 on up in the SRT-4 is only a couple of tenths of seconds off. With forced induction this car would very very dangerous. And oh yeah....yum.....6 speed.

After the simple "tap/whack" of the Map Sensor, driving it today the car came alive. Im seeking a more permanent fix to the issue. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if this is why the previous owner traded the vehicle in ath only 22,000 miles. The car felt sluggish, and all of sudden woke up. The engine bay is immaculate for 02.

The next issue is a "notchy" shift ( could be the trans oil - needs synchromesh??)
and the clutch feels soft - ( fluid change??)

All in all I love this car, dont have weird issues like my SRT4 ( over heating, loss of HP ) and the engineering on this is simply wonderful. Amazing car. Not wanting to drive a myriad of Honda's that are out there initially, I understand why so many people drive them. They are just built right.

As for the SRT-4 I think Dodge did an amazing job, however I hate to say it, Japenese precision is Japenese precision.

Quick Reply: Strange Issue?Hitting a wall