S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange high pitched noise

Old 07-19-2005, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Strange high pitched noise

This last week I have noticed that there seems to be a high pitched ringing coming from somewhere. Not all the time but on acceleration and even then only at times. It happened at times in every gear and seemed to be coming from the front right hand side of the car. It almost sounds like break pad squeal but its not under braking. I'm thinking maybe a wheel bearing but weird that it didn't make any noise when just rolling??

I have taken the front right hand wheel off and checked the pads and they are fine for wear and also the wheel bearing seems fine. The wear on the rear pads is also fine.

Anyone else experienced this?

Its in for a service on Thursday but asking Honda to track down the noise could be expen$ive!

Any advice gratefully received
Old 07-19-2005, 08:11 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Intake whistle lots of s2ks have it, it's normal.

IF that's what it is....
Old 07-19-2005, 10:29 AM

Only when wife is in the car?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe I have the same issue, and it is not my intake. The sound is still there after switching to a Comptech intake (not the reason I switched, but anyway).

It has been suggested that it is the fuel pump. It bugs me a little, but there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it right now. I would love to hear other opinions on this.

For clarification, it consistently occurs at about 25% throttle.........any gear.......any speed. High pitched whistle.

Wish us luck!
Hockey
Old 07-19-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

intake whistle is a guess....but I'll bet were all talking about the same noise. Someone will find it eventually
Old 07-19-2005, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like intake whistle to me. i gotta agree with billman.

our stock intake can produce this whistle, and an aftermarket one such as the comptech will not make it go away. the whistle is produced at the throttle body to my understanding, so you simply hear it coming out the intake. in fact, most aftermarket intakes often amplify the noise.

and i don't think it would be the fuel pump. the fuel pump on the S2000 is located inside the gas tank.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:42 PM

Its the intake whistle...if you play with the throttle a bit you can get it to whistle consistantly...Mine does this as well..No biggie
Old 07-20-2005, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Hockey,Jul 20 2005, 01:41 AM
For clarification, it consistently occurs at about 25% throttle.........any gear.......any speed. High pitched whistle.
That is exactley what mine does. I have a PRM intake system but until last weekend I has never heard this noise before. Strange that it would just start making this whistle. I will check my intake is fully secure tonight and has no problems.

Fair enough if it is just a whistle and nothing to worry about I'm just curious as to why it has only just started doing it??

Thanks for the resposes guys.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, if we agree it is the intake/throttle body making the whistle then I have a question.

Would cleaning out the TB help alleviate the noise? I remember reading about someone using an aerosol cleaner directly into the TB about a month ago. They claimed it removed alot of the gunk that was visible, and supposedly smoothed out the RPM dip at idle.

Thoughts??????
Old 07-20-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no. the noise is in the nature of the car's TB. i've heard cars with 200 miles on them make this noise.

Quick Reply: Strange high pitched noise