S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Strange Clutch Issue

Old 03-13-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Clutch Issue

I have a 2002 S2000 with 83k miles and it's still on the original clutch.

The clutch grabs fine, I have never had it slip even under hard launches with RS3's at the autox. However, often times it feels like the clutch is catching on something at the very bottom of the clutch throw, and it feels like it's not as smooth as it should be when I let it out. It feels harder than it should to shift it into each gear under normal driving, almost like it doesn't want to go into gear until the revs match. I also noticed that on cold starts, when letting the clutch out in neutral the revs will drop or the car will try to move forward. These symptoms lead me to believe maybe the clutch isn't engaging/disengaging properly.

The strange part is if I go out and slam 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, it will go back to perfectly fine for a while. It shifts smooth, the clutch feels smooth as you let it out, and it doesn't stick towards the bottom of the clutch throw. However if I drive it nicely it will revert back to this problem after a while.

I'm going to try changing out the clutch fluid soon as a starting point, but I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue or has an idea of what may be going on? I don't mind beating on it to make the problem going away , but I'm worried I may be damaging something by doing this.

Thanks!

Zach
Old 03-13-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bleed the fluid as you said, and also inspect the clutch fork, and try to get a look at the clutch disc through that same opening, while you're under the car.

If the car wants to move when the transmission is in neutral though, that seems like an internal trans problem. Hope I'm wrong on that one though... When did you last change the trans fluid?
Old 03-13-2015, 10:52 AM

The moving really only happens on cold start after I've had the car in gear while parked and then moved it to neutral, just to clarify. I changed the transmission fluid to Amsoil MTF about 5,000 miles ago.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Check your clutch master cylinder.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like something wrong with your pressure plate or clutch disc. I would look around for anything abnormal or out of adjustment/leaking. If you can shift through gears w/o using the clutch (clutch less shift) to me that rules out a tranny issue especially since you note that the car doesn't seem to want to shift fine unless the revs match.

With clutch pushed, does it still want to dip rpm / move on cold start?
Old 03-15-2015, 10:32 AM

With the clutch pushed it does not dip RPM's or want to move. This is mainly just when it's very cold out and it has been sitting a while (I live in South Dakota). I took it for a drive yesterday and when I started it the car didn't move at all when I let out the clutch so I'm not as concerned with that issue as figuring out why it sometimes shifts fine and sometimes it's difficult. I think I'll try the clutch fluid this week and if that doesn't work I suppose I'll have to order everything for a clutch job.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:11 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Super cold thick trans fluid will provide some fluid friction drive even in neutral. Remember that all gears inside your transmission are spinning even in neutral. With the clutch engaged (pedal out), the input shaft on the trans is spinning at engine speeds.

What trans fluid do you have in there?
Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by shind3
Super cold thick trans fluid will provide some fluid friction drive even in neutral. Remember that all gears inside your transmission are spinning even in neutral. With the clutch engaged (pedal out), the input shaft on the trans is spinning at engine speeds.

What trans fluid do you have in there?

he changed the transmission fluid to Amsoil MTF about 5,000 miles ago.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have Amsoil MTF in mine too and I believe it is too thick at cold temperatures (notchy shifting). But it's great when the trans is fully warmed up. So, great for cars that see lots of road course duty but mine doesn't see more than 1 lap at a time. I'm considering changing it to the specified Honda MTF.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:43 AM

Over the weekend I flushed and gravity bled the clutch fluid, and greased the end of the slave cylinder push rod. It is definitely a big improvement. The clutch feels smoother and the engagement point seems to have moved up a little bit. It's shifting smoother as well.

I drove it to work today and noticed that at first when it was cold it still feels like it catches or sticks a little at the bottom of the throw near the floor. After I drove for a bit it felt fine again. I didn't have enough clearance with the car on jack stands to pull the dust boot and grease the clutch fork but I may try that next.

Quick Reply: Strange Clutch Issue