S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

strange "in-cabin" buzz during clutch buzz

Old 06-09-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default strange "in-cabin" buzz during clutch buzz

I have a MY01 with 78k and I've learned to live with the clutch buzz that is so common with early models. Lately though, a new sound has popped up that coincides with the clutch buzz.

During the clutch buzz deceleration, a new tinny sounding buzz that seems to be coming from near the pedals overlaps the usual engine bay buzzing sound. It is fairly loud and kind of worrisome. I can make it go away with the usual pressing of the clutch or hitting the gas but I cannot replicate the sound every time. It seems to come on only when it wants to. It comes on mostly when I do spirited driving.

Does anyone have any input or experience with this sound?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably a heat shield...
Old 06-09-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by king snorkel,Jun 9 2008, 12:39 PM
...coming from near the pedals...
I would have to agree however, aren't all the heat shields on the passengers side
Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Touch the clutch pedal next time and see if it goes away. My car started doing that a couple of days ago. It's a pretty nasty metal tapping noise. I think the pedal is resonating.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Yea, Honda really screwed up with those clutch disks in the early cars. It's a shame you have to "learn to live with" the noise. I finally got tired of my car sounding like an expletive-deleted Yugo, and replaced the disk at 35k miles (and 6 years old). I should have replaced that sucker a year earlier, rather than driving a poorly-built pos for that year.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by SgtB,Jun 9 2008, 01:56 PM
Touch the clutch pedal next time and see if it goes away. My car started doing that a couple of days ago. It's a pretty nasty metal tapping noise. I think the pedal is resonating.
The car made the noise only once all day but I was able to make it go away by gently pressing the pedal. The sound is related to the clutch buzz but gentle pressure would remove the tinny sounding "in cabin" buzz without disrupting the normal clutch buzz.

Sounds like one more noise I'll have to live with.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll throw this out there just because it's sometimes difficult to determine where sounds originate in an enclosed space.

The next time you hear this sound push up on the dome light cover and see if it stops. I had a buzz coming from there that was driving me crazy until I figured out the source. I thought it was under the dash, then the passenger seat...you get the idea.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine started doing it again last night, and I believe it's the rod ratteling against the pedal arm.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:23 AM

On the left side small fuse box in the engine bay there is a thick wht/rd I think wire underneath that runs exetremely close to the inner fender . When this wire resonates ( about 3000 rpm ) it makes the sound you describe . If this is your problem you'll also find sings of rubbing on the paint of the inner fender . The clutch pedal rod does resonate too but it's more like rattling and it can be stoped with grease for clutch forks .
Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 PM

sup everyone..i think i have the same problem.. i have a 00' s2k, has bout 59K+ on it.. it started happening about 1 month ago... doesnt matter what gear ur in, goin bout 35+mph, then when u let go of the gas u can hear that buzzing/humming sound. thers some vibrating on the clutch pedals, and when u step on the gas jus a tiny bit... it disappears... so can someone pls tell me wut it is exactly and how do i solve it... so i dont have to pay that $100 diagnostic fee... hehe..

Quick Reply: strange "in-cabin" buzz during clutch buzz