S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stock Rear Shocks repairable?...

Old 01-21-2011, 08:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock Rear Shocks repairable?...

-> Hey guys! I tried to search but came up with nothing.

The S2K -> I have a AP2v1, I bought her back in 2008 w/ 37.4K miles. Now she's already ticking towards the 94K mark:

* Just took this few minutes ago...

The Situation -> My rear driver-side shock is showing signs that its wearing out, and my tire/rim is scraping whenever I hit a dip that requires shocks to be 50% compressed.

My Question -> The S features an external resovoir for its rear shocks, this setup is somewhat similar to many aftermarket coilovers. VegasS2K (a fellow S2Ki Las Vegas member) told me that the rear shocks are repairable like those TEIN Flex and the like.

* Stock photo

^ Is it true that the rear shocks are repairable? Is it possible? Is it worth it?

^ If not, should I get one or a full-on set? If is to upgrade, I'm thinking on getting AP2v3 CR suspension kit...

-> Many thanks brothers!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:47 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Buy a set of 4 used low mileage OEM shocks with springs. Easy bolt in and shouldn't cost that much.

Edit: The suspension photo above is from a for sale thread on this forum. 14k mile shocks and springs for $200. If it were me, I'd have already bought those.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not that great of a shock to begin with (amazing compared to most factory and weakcompared to decent aftermarket) and I am unaware of anyone who has rebuilt one. You do NOT need to replace all 4. Typically the seal just goes out on one.

I have two I can sell you for cheap (31k miles). Why 2, because you might need one of the same age and I will never need just one since I went to aftermarket.

OEM CR is cheap+, and gives you uneven lifting-, not adj.--, not rebuildable -. I'd go Koni long before I went to Honda.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Conedodger -> Yes I do admit I copied the image from te classifieds. I just used it for reference.

INTJ -> So all I need are new rears? Thats a first, I mean will it upset the S's overall balance?

^ And the one that is for sale are the AP1-spec, and INTJ your's are the AP2v2's. What are the benefits with these two (other than replacing my old shocks) compared to the AP2v1?

-> As far as I've known from K-Lo (in the Las Vegas S2Ki Forum, also my best friend); the AP1v1/2, AP2v1, AP2v2, & AP2v3 are completely different setups as he's driven all these S2K versions (lucky bastard). I've only driven a AP1v2 and the AP2v1.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:47 PM

The internal valving is supposedly slightly different. So far I have not seen anyone shock "dyno" the two. Very, very few people can tell the difference between ap1/ap2. The CR has significantly more damping and a longer spring, so that is not straight across compatible.

There is nothing magical about shocks. I have had single shocks blow and the factory matched take 5 more years to go. I have had 600/per shocks come apart (thanks Tockico and Millen) and 100/per last forever. Just get a matched pair with low miles and that would be safest. Or save money and see if you can find one.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Just buy a takeoff set from someone used AP2, tons of people get aftermarket and want to just dump their stock setup cheap, post a WTB on your local section.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:34 AM

INTJ -> Thats a good pointer there bro.

CosmosMpower -> I'll see about that, I just need the $$$ first. lol

Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 315 Likes on 149 Posts

The '06-'07 suspension is nearly identical to the '04-'05, just a tiny difference in the rear springs, so that set pictured above (yes it's '06-'07, NOT AP1) would be an excellent choice.

FYI, the CR springs are significantly shorter (in free length) than any other OE spring. (See Table 2 of paper here.) It's true that because their rate is much higher, they don't compress as much under the static load of the car (or the dynamic loads of course!). I've found that when Honda changed spring rates, they made corresponding tweaks to adjust the F&R ride heights (spring free length, spring seat height on shock body, even shock piston length in the CR's case).
Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd just buy a set of used shocks and springs. Sell for around 100 usually.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:39 PM

im taking my stock shocks and springs off in the morning and replacing with after market ones ill sell you mine if you want em like 175 shipped wherever

Quick Reply: Stock Rear Shocks repairable?...