S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stock AirBox

Old 09-02-2003, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was very close today to removing the divider. When I saw the sand in the first chamber, and seeing how porous the JR filter seems, I felt it would be best to leave the divider in place.

I have the Spoon scoop and that contributes to the filter box getting all that sand. Without the Spoon scoop, I think I would do the mod, as the path of air oem helps to take care of sand particles before it gets to the box, imo.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prolene:

When you say "sand in the first chamber" do you mean the chamber on the left as you face the car? If so, in stock form, there's no airpath (or sandpath) in or out of that chamber. I'm not questioning your credibility at all, but merely trying to understand how sand could get into the chamber I describe, without some intake cut into it.

Thanks,
Richard:) :) :)
Old 09-02-2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by dolebludger
Prolene:

When you say "sand in the first chamber" do you mean the chamber on the left as you face the car? If so, in stock form, there's no airpath (or sandpath) in or out of that chamber. I'm not questioning your credibility at all, but merely trying to understand how sand could get into the chamber I describe, without some intake cut into it.

Thanks,
Richard
what he said was that there is road debris, sand, whatever you want to call it in the first chamber of the intake box, the one that is on the left when you are standing in front of the car. When I was running my spoon duct, I had cut the divider off, during one filter change, I noticed a cigarette butt in the intake box. You'll definately be picking up more stuff with a snorkel type intake.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:01 PM

i noticed that no-one has mentioned the third section of the intake. the rightmost section (viewing from front of car), past the filter and tube is connected to the rest of the airbox. there is a rectangular cutout and there is a volume in there.

this eludes to the point raised above as to whether it is there to "tune" the air intake or to absorbs certain wavelengths of noise.

if it is the latter, i suspect that that is why Richard has no extra noise (that and the insulation).

bassem
Old 09-02-2003, 03:05 PM

Prolene:

Thanks,
Richard
What vapors2k said. It seems somehow debris/water gets separated from the air stream and at least some or more of this gets collected in the first chamber on the left as you face the car. Many people with the scoop have described vacuuming this chamber of debris from time to time.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Bassem
i noticed that no-one has mentioned the third section of the intake. the rightmost section (viewing from front of car), past the filter and tube is connected to the rest of the airbox. there is a rectangular cutout and there is a volume in there.

this eludes to the point raised above as to whether it is there to "tune" the air intake or to absorbs certain wavelengths of noise.

if it is the latter, i suspect that that is why Richard has no extra noise (that and the insulation).

bassem
Spoon has suggested closing off the opening between the main airbox and the chamber you describe. I have actually cut off that section and closed off the opening. The car is already noisy enough at wot with Spoon exhaust, that I don't know if the intake is noiser or not.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prolene
[B] Spoon has suggested closing off the opening between the main airbox and the chamber you describe.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done nothing with the right air chamber (as you face the car) but completely removed the divider from the chamber housing the filter and the LEFT chamber. This is only because I have also installed a second air intake from a hole in the left side of the airbox to the hole in the front fender chamber, which would draw no air to the filter as intended if that divider were left in place. As I said, the divider rather completely seals off the left chamber from the chamber with the filter, where the "L" channel in the top of the box sends all the air (and debris) directly to the top of the filter. I live in dusty, crappy old Oklahoma, and have yet to see any debris in this left chamber (before removing the divider). I'm at a total loss as to how any sand could get into this left chamber, in stock configuration.
The reason I've done nothing to the right chamber is that I'm not smart enough to figure out how to get any additional cool or "ram" air in through there.

Please note that I "jacked up" the filter element so it didn't sit right on the bottom of the box. One of the reasons for this was to deter induction of sand and debris.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 09-02-2003, 04:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dolebludger
[B]I have done nothing with the right air chamber (as you face the car) but completely removed the divider from the chamber housing the filter and the LEFT chamber. This is only because I have also installed a second air intake from a hole in the left
Old 09-02-2003, 04:07 PM

I'm at a total loss as to how any sand could get into this left chamber, in stock configuration.

I just took a look at the airbox and can only say that those with the scoop have more debris in the first chamber. There is a gap between the airbox L channel and the Spoon scoop, and likely the stock "scoop", on the lower aspect of the L, which is cut at an angle. I can only surmise that this is where the debris is being separated. I think debris/water that normally would go up the Spoon scoop would proceed straight into the radiator before air made its way to the stock positioned air intake.