S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stock AirBox

Old 08-29-2003, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock AirBox

A question for all,
if you open up the stock air box, you will see a wall that divide the box into 2. From what I heard, the wall is suppose to cancel the sound. I was wondering if you cut off the wall which will increase the mass of air flow coming in form the opening, would it increase HP? If this work, I (we all) can save some $$$ and not risk any hydrolock from aftermarket CAI.
Give it some thought and let me know.

Cheers.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:44 AM

It's been talked about before, and it may slightly help power. There's no proof though, and if you remove everything inside the air box you will lose the water catching ability that prevents ingestion of water into the engine when you run a snorkel type CAI.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:34 AM

try a k&n filter if you want to use the stock airbox.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:22 PM

Gutted mine already with a dremel
Old 08-30-2003, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by JL9000
It's been talked about before, and it may slightly help power. There's no proof though, and if you remove everything inside the air box you will lose the water catching ability that prevents ingestion of water into the engine when you run a snorkel type CAI.
I gotta disagree with the above. If you take a look at the stock airbox cover, you can see there is a air tube that pass through the wall and conduct air straight to the filter. If water does goes in from the tunnel, it will bypass the wall even without it being cut. Hear is my finding. I got it done last night and replace the stock filter with a K&N, I do feel a slight increase on the highway. But one thing for sure, I was able to drive on a full tank of gass for 390 km before the empty light comes on. Before the mod, I was lucky to get 340 km per tank. That alone I think is worth the time and effort.

Cheers.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:39 PM

I took mines out and i couldnt tell the diff ...
i did notice the diff with the cover on and off . with the cover on and with out the divider in place , my car toped out at 116mph going up this hill . when the cover is off , i hit 119mph and climbing .
with it off , it helps on the high end with more air being easyer to suck in , but in stop and go traffic . the car sucks ass ... i notice it drives smoother with the stock air box on and less bogging.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:18 PM

The first chamber under the AIr intake duct is a silencer. I don't think removing the wall will increase airflow because all the air still has to go through the intake duct. The duct goes directly to the chamber with the air filter element. Removing the cover completely will increase airflow, but it's all hot air heated by the engine. It sounds better, but most report loss of power. I'm surprised usdm got better performance. Was it much cooler when you did the 119? Cooler air temp may have overcome the air being heated by the engine. Was it 45 degrees in HI that day ?
Old 08-30-2003, 09:41 PM

s2w:
it seems in stop and go traffic the car runs worst than with it on ... i guess when i went up hill at a high mph , air was easyer to get in which helped out on the high end . i currently drive with the car bone stock , because it feels smoother , i tend to get a bogging every now and then .
as for the air temps , i did 119mph after work around 5:30pm with air temp around 80degs and 116mph around noon time , ide say temps around 82-90 degs i dont think that would make a diff as too the performance it did .
Old 08-31-2003, 12:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gixxsu
[B]

I gotta disagree with the above.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gixxsu
[B]

I gotta disagree with the above.

Quick Reply: Stock AirBox