S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

still over heating

Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still over heating

so I changed out my rad,thermo and water pump. took the car out and as soon as I popped the heat on bam car started getting warm. flipped the ac on and she cooled right down. does this sound like a giant air bubble? or HG
Old 02-17-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does take a heat cycle or two to get the air bubble out. So check your coolant level (should be lower now) and refill, drive again, let completely cool off. It should be close to being right where it should be.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:34 PM

so when it cools put more coolant in?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:40 PM

try bleeding it. i have tried every way possible for bleeding this car and the one that worked the best happened to be the fastest. leave the car on the ground level and start it up. let it get up to running temp and turn the heat to full hot. i turn my fan on, but it doesnt really matter.

there is a heater line that runs along the firewall that is aluminum. right in the middle of that there is a little rubber cap with a clamp. pull the clamp off carfully not to pull the cap off yet. carefully pull that cap off and coolant will come spurting out. dont let it get you in the face its gonna be hot. do that until you get a steady stream of ONLY coolant coming out. no air. if you have to do this alot you might want to do it in 2 little sessions to make sure you dont let you coolant level to get too low.

this is a very simple process and just take a little time to make sure you get it all out. it makes a HUGE mess sometimes so do it somewhere it doesnt really matter. hope this helps you out man. i was dealing with alot of overheating, coolant, no heater issues in the last 2 months so i understand your frustration.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:43 PM

it was so wierd this all started when it got cold in florida, lol sounds odd right. tonight I was just checking it and bam got hotter. turned the ac on and it cooled down right away

so while the car is running take the cap off the firewall line? I can imagine the mess its going to make lol
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 PM

when doing this should I leave the rad cap on or off?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Is your engine fan coming on when the A/C is NOT on. When you activate the A/C system the engine fan will automatically come on and maybe thats why your car does not over heat when the A/C is on.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 PM

Yea what mph2k said. Also does it overheat with the A/C off and the heater off?
Old 02-18-2009, 03:26 AM

just drove 30 miles to work, I brought the laptop with me to monitor everything. while cruising I was @ 178 degrees when stoped the highest it climbed was 181. I did not put the heat on at all. went into boost a few times and still ice cold
Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 AM

spoke to my shop foreman at work (I work service for honda)

he said I should take the snap on bucket that you fill the rad with, fill the bucket up. connect a hose to the bleeder valve on the manifold. crack the valve. put the hose in the bucket. once all the air is out it will start sucking the coolant in when the thermo closes

Quick Reply: still over heating