S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sticky / Rough / Squeaky clutch pedal

Old 03-31-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-05-2010, 05:43 AM

i did mine too for the second time because it came back a little. But after doing the job my clutch pedal had no pressure anymore.

A few days later, i got back under the car to check out whats wrong so i did the whole process again but while i was doing it, the oil of the slave cylinder came out(yellow oil).

So i still don't have pressure on the pedal. Did i screw up my slave?

How to fix it?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by nickm,Apr 5 2010, 05:43 AM
i did mine too for the second time because it came back a little. But after doing the job my clutch pedal had no pressure anymore.

A few days later, i got back under the car to check out whats wrong so i did the whole process again but while i was doing it, the oil of the slave cylinder came out(yellow oil).

So i still don't have pressure on the pedal. Did i screw up my slave?

How to fix it?
read the entire thread and you'll find that others (including me) let the piston fall out, causing fluid to leak and air to get into the system. get everything re-assembled, then check the fluid level under the hood. it's probably low or empty. re-fill it with DOT-3 fluid, then get back underneath and bleed the slave cylinder.

you might want to get someone else to help you with it, but if memory serves me correct, you'll want to put a catch pan underneath the slave cylinder, open the bleeder valve, have someone depress the clutch pedal to the floor, close the bleeder valve, pull the clutch pedal all the way back up, check the fluid level in the reservoir under the hood, re-fill to max, and repeat until you stop getting air bubbles. you might go through a bottle or two of the fluid until you get most of the air out of the system. once you get 100% fluid coming out of the bleeder valve, you can tighten the nut back up, press the clutch a few times to make sure it feels right, and you're good to go.

in the future, i think the best thing to do would be to duct tape the piston in the cylinder while you grease/polish the fork.

also, be careful with the rubber accordion piece that holds the fork in place. it needs to be aligned properly so that the fork extends all the way into the catch lever. otherwise, it will be short and when you depress the clutch pedal, the fork may not be seated properly and the clutch won't disengage.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread...Quick question though, there is still a minor hint of hesitation that I feel. Would this be because the fork itself needs to be polished as well as the "little ball".

Did this on my '07 for the second time last night. First time was about 2 months ago and the "little ball" developed a small nipple in the center. Ground it down, polished and greased with "Hi temp grease for Japanese cars". Then 2 months later(yesterday) the hesitation came back and was making a small sound. So took it out again and noticed that it was dry again(a little bit of grease, barely). But didn't get bad enough to develop a nipple again(guess I caught it in time). So re-polished it and put a butt load of grease on the fork and on the and the "ball end". Put everything back in place. Much better but there's still a hint of hesitation at the end but everything is much smoother.

Should I polish the fork as well?
How do I make sure that this does not come back in 2 months again?

I understand doing this every few years but every 2 months...That's too soon.

Thanks for the help...
Old 04-29-2010, 11:32 AM

how do you guys polish it? Im looking to do this even thought there's no squeak or anything of that natural to mine.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

make sure its high temp grease and also look into lubing the piece that goes into the tranny (its easier to see it with the slave removed.)
Old 05-01-2010, 07:34 PM

Did this today. Did it the hard way. I didn't read all the way through the thread and the piston ended up coming out of the slave and leaked all the fluid out. DOH!

I would definitely suggest strapping the piston in with a big zip tie or something. But the bleeding the system isn't terribly hard.

I have a dremel tool with a full assortment of bits. One of those is a polishing wheel. Did a great job of grinding down the nipple and polishing the ball. I didn't look too close at the clutch fork to check the condition of it. For now the action is really smooth but I need to bleed the clutch some more. Pedal isn't quite right.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update:

So I cleaned it and then greased it up with the "super hi temp" grease that honda uses themselves(dark green and smells like ass). The problem still persists. Changed out to an brand new Ap1 slave cylinder and ap1-ap2(same part) Master cylinder and bled the system with new fluid. Noticed that the problem is not there when the car cold but is there after 15min-30min of driving. Basically gets worse the hotter it gets. I am now told that it could be the throwout barring or the pressure plate. When they heat up from use and the metal expands then something catches. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

did you lube the fork type piece inside the tranny with a small paint brush?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:27 PM

You might want to replace the slave boot too.

I got this one from Majestic for $30ish...

old / new comparison.

Quick Reply: Sticky / Rough / Squeaky clutch pedal