S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sticking clutch pedal

Old 07-28-2005, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: so i took the car to my local Honda dealership (luckily it's 2 min walking distance from work) and they found that the master cylinder was leaking. Thus they replaced the master cylinder and did a clutch fluid bleed. Got the car back and everything is back to normal
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but it might be worth the bump for this year as this Service News posted earlier in this thread just resolved my sticky clutch pedal.

-Dave
Old 05-16-2009, 11:21 PM

Hey all, I have a similar problem with my Exedy Hyper Single Stage 1 (6-puck) clutch kit.

Master and slave cylinders are ok, lines and fluids are ok, but when the clutch is at high temps and I'm constantly shifting near redline, the clutch pedal sticks to the floor! I have to use my arm to pull the clutch pedal back up again.

Any straight-forward answers?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:38 AM

Hey guys! So I have a MY06 with 83k. I recently replaced both the master and slave clutch cylinders since they were leaking. After about 5k miles I started to get a sticky clutch. Whenever I was shifting above 5k rpms the clutch pedal would be harder to depress initially but once it broke free it went down normal the rest of the way. I followed the writeup and removed the slave cylinder, polished the tip and regreased. That fixed the problem, but not permanately. It is 2 weeks later and problem has come back. How is it that polishing and regreasing fixed it but only for a short period? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe you need a lot of grease in there for it to hold up. You need to use a brush to get it inside the joint in the slave. Simply applying grease to the ball then inserting it will not allow you to get enough grease in there.

So I've been told, after having the same issue (still sticky after a re-grease).
Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by vtec9
I believe you need a lot of grease in there for it to hold up. You need to use a brush to get it inside the joint in the slave. Simply applying grease to the ball then inserting it will not allow you to get enough grease in there.

So I've been told, after having the same issue (still sticky after a re-grease).
Update:

So after I played a round of golf last Wednesday I was driving home and it happened. As I was entering the freeway I accellerated and the car went straight to redline without moving. I shifted up to make sure I was in gear and the same thing happened. My clutch had not been slipping prior to this so it was pretty sudden. I have ordered a new clutch setup and hope that once that is put in, the stickiness will be fixed. For what it's worth, the stickiness is still there but with a slipping clutch it is hard to tell whether the clutch slave cylinder is still the culprit. I will report back once the new clutch is installed.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:02 AM

Received 1,402 Likes on 839 Posts

If your adjustment is off (since you replaced the master) the clutch will slip. Your new clutch will slip also, so be sure you have the pedal adjustment correct.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250
If your adjustment is off (since you replaced the master) the clutch will slip. Your new clutch will slip also, so be sure you have the pedal adjustment correct.
Thanks for the input but I have another question. I replaced the master/slave about 4 months ago and when we did we adjusted the pedal so that there was not any play in it. It worked fine for 4-5 months. Does this mean that pedal adjustment could have shifted since the time that we did the install?
Old 05-13-2014, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by saleach
Hey guys! So I have a MY06 with 83k. I recently replaced both the master and slave clutch cylinders since they were leaking. After about 5k miles I started to get a sticky clutch. Whenever I was shifting above 5k rpms the clutch pedal would be harder to depress initially but once it broke free it went down normal the rest of the way. I followed the writeup and removed the slave cylinder, polished the tip and regreased. That fixed the problem, but not permanately. It is 2 weeks later and problem has come back. How is it that polishing and regreasing fixed it but only for a short period? Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by saleach
Originally Posted by vtec9' timestamp='1398099107' post='23122459

Update:

So after I played a round of golf last Wednesday I was driving home and it happened. As I was entering the freeway I accellerated and the car went straight to redline without moving. I shifted up to make sure I was in gear and the same thing happened. My clutch had not been slipping prior to this so it was pretty sudden. I have ordered a new clutch setup and hope that once that is put in, the stickiness will be fixed. For what it's worth, the stickiness is still there but with a slipping clutch it is hard to tell whether the clutch slave cylinder is still the culprit. I will report back once the new clutch is installed.

Final Update: After replacing the clutch system (new pp, flywheel throwout guide etc the problem has stopped completely. It looked as though the issue was with the throwout guide that was causing the issue but after replacing the whole setup it was hard to tell. Moral of the story is dont be surprised if the sticking clutch pedal is the precursor to a failing clutch system.