S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sticking clutch pedal

Old 01-21-2005, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '01 with the same sticking clutch problem after warmup at 40K mi. Was wondering if any of you got a repair you were satisfied with and if so, what was the repair that solved the problem. My dealer hasn't been any help so far.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:01 PM

Weird, I started this thread but never returned to it to post what turned out to be the fix for my sticky pedal. Problem was a leaking slave cylinder. Replaced that and the pedal has been perfectly smooth for over a year now.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:31 AM

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Because there are so many "Me too!" posters here...and because there can be a number of reasons for our clutch pedal sticking near the bottom of the floor, let me mention that my own "sticky pedal" experience with my '01 turned out to be a worn throw-out bearing guide (see image below).

This guide was [more than likely] worn prematurely due to improper greasing of the T-O bearing when the 054-TSB was performed some 20K miles earlier. The wording in the Honda tech manual was/is not specific enough to suggest that there should only be a bead of the suggested grease applied into the channel that exists inside the sleeve portion of the T-O bearing (the T-O rides on the pictured guide). The tech would admit he'd "over greased" when the TSB had been performed. My contention being that over time, the extra grease that existed outside of that channel but on the guide acted as a magnet to metal & clutch filings and that repetitive clutch engagement with the T-O bearing allowed for frictional wear on the pictured guide.

Damn good thing I have a better-than-good relationship with my service tech & dealership too! I took a PTO day and pulled my clutch with the tech at the service center and we inspected all this together. Because they didn't have a replacement guide, he'd initially suggested we re-install the same guide in a different orientation, so the pedal wouldn't stick in the rut. As I pointed out to him at that time, were we to do that, over time a re-greased application in the T-O bearing would have escaped through the rut already created thereby causing even more premature wear of parts and another entry into the clutch assembly for work. So I'll say again...good thing I was present...otherwise that might have been *exactly* what would have been done. Anyway, while we were in there, I replaced the guide, clutch plate (upgraded to '02+ OEM model) & T-O bearing. Clutch has been doing fine now...and over 100K miles on the car

Best of luck to ya!

- Dave
Old 07-25-2005, 09:31 AM

i'm having a problem with a sticky clutch too.......but my engagement point has also changed drastically; it is now maybe only 10% off of the floor (very low to the floor). Sometimes it feels like my clutch isn't fully disengaging the engine from the wheels as I have felt some slight grinding through the shifter when shifting from 6th into neutral). Also sometimes I have trouble engaging first or Reverse from a stop (it feels blocked) so I have to release/put in clutch and try again.......The engagement point used to be maybe 60% off of the floor (more than half way up).....is this a symptom as well or is my problem something completely different?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:36 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

I've fixed three already.

Remove the slave, pull the fork out (it won't come out all the way) and grease all it's contact points. The most important thing is, the fork pivots on the rod. The rod does not pivot in the trans. You'll need a thin spray grease to get into the fork shaft.

When putting the slave back in, grease the ball end that contacts the fork.

This has worked 3 for 3 so far and cured the problem 100%. One of them was my car. I have another one coming in next week, I will post the findings here also.

I'm sure there are other possible causes as mentioned, but these seem to be the most common.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:37 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

hpark...you have low/dirty clutch fluid, or air in the system as a result.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:14 PM

thanks to everyone who has replied.....i'm just surprised that my MY04 with 14K mi is having problems with the clutch already (and i am very easy on the clutch.....at least I think so.....no clutch dropping/side stepping/excessive clutch riding....and i rev match every up and down shift)......the clutch fluid level seems okay thought it isn't exactly clean looking either.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 02 does the same...had the clutch replaced @12k by my dealership under warranty...now i'm in the extended and they won't look at unless I give them a $200 tear down deposit
Old 07-26-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by efthimios,Jul 26 2005, 01:15 PM
my 02 does the same...had the clutch replaced @12k by my dealership under warranty...now i'm in the extended and they won't look at unless I give them a $200 tear down deposit
ouch!!
i hope i don't need to have my clutch replaced......hopefully it is a simple release fork lube. my S is currently in the shop

Quick Reply: Sticking clutch pedal