S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Sticking clutch pedal

Old 12-18-2003, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking clutch pedal

My clutch pedal is driving me crazy. After pushing the pedal to the floor, it sticks at the bottom. I can feel the resistance as I let it back up and just as the clutch engages, the resistance goes away. Its been doing it for the past 10,000 miles or so and its getting worse. For a while, the problem would go away completely for a few days at the time and the clutch was free and light. But now it always sticks and its getting worse. Taking off from stoplights has now become a challenge. I bled the clutch fluid last week but that did nothing for the sticking problem. Anyone experienced a problem like this or have any idea what it might be?

*The car has 72,000 miles and the clutch was replaced at 60,000.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:30 AM

The clutch was replaced by Crown Honda in Chapel Hill, NC. I've heard tons of complaints about their sales department but mostly good things about the service department. How would I go about lubricating the throw out bearing?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:33 AM

I have the same problem.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:35 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

It wouldn't be the throwout bearing, but the spindle that it rides on. If they didn't grease it up when they replaced your clutch, it could cause your clutch pedal to stick. To grease it, you'd have to disconnect the engine from the tranny enough to grease the spindle.

I wouldn't rule out other things, especially because it takes a great deal of effort to grease the spindle. It could be a problem with your clutch master or slave cylinder sticking. If dust or dirt got into the reservoir, you could have a scored master cylinder.

Here's a hypothetical scenario: If you had your clutch fluid topped off sometime in the past (because it was low), then the clutch fluid reservoir would need to have some fluid removed when they replaced the clutch. If they used a dirty/dusty turkey baster to siphon out the extra fluid, then they could have contaminated the fluid.

Regardless of the cause, you need to take it back to the dealer. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is not a likely the fluid or cylinders.

The release bearing (throw out) rides on a bearing guide that collects a lot of friction material. In fact everything within the bell housing is subject to being coated with dust from the FD. I would expect that if it is not cleaned well on reassembly you can get some sticking when the pedal is fully depressed.

None of the components were well cleaned (or lubed) when my clutch was replaced. When I redid it I used two full cans of chemtool to get all the stuff out. I carefully lubed the parts on reassembly and the clutch action is more smooth than new.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:53 AM

What kind of damage might be caused by driving it as is? The cars not even close to being undriveable and I'd like to wait til after the holidays to get it checked out. But I'd hate to turn a $100 problem into a $1000 problem.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:08 PM

More likely the pivots in the clutch pedal or clutch fork need lube, or there is something else binding in one of those areas.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by piecesofcurb
What kind of damage might be caused by driving it as is?
Old 12-22-2003, 04:13 PM

also check if your clutch slave cylinder bolts are tight and aligned correctly. My clutch did this and thought it was the throw out bearing, but instead became the slave cylinder bolts being broken. I give doubts its the throw out bearing.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by CaptinMorgan97
also check if your clutch slave cylinder bolts are tight and aligned correctly. My clutch did this and thought it was the throw out bearing, but instead became the slave cylinder bolts being broken. I give doubts its the throw out bearing.
That is interesting. There is no way the slave cylinder could damage those bolts, it had to be done during a maintenance operation. What happened?

Quick Reply: Sticking clutch pedal