S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Steering Wheeling Slips

Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheeling Slips

Can somebody please give me a little guidance, I have a '00 s ap1 and I recently got into an accident. Prior to the accident my steering wheel would occasionally lose its tension (slip) in its steering when turned and shortly after the wheel (tire) would finally correct itself after about a second delay of the steering wheel slipping. The tension in the wheel would come back as soon as the wheel caught up with the steering wheel. I think this may have caused the accident. Any ideas what could be causing the steering wheel to slip?

I have also purchased a new srs unit, srs clock relay spring, seat belts, driver and passenger airbags. Is there anything else that I will need and is there any special way to install the safety equipment?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:55 PM

Could be suspension components or the rack itself
Old 03-28-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While not moving with the engine running - pull the steering wheel to one side slightly and let it go. Does it wiggle back and forth?

This was the symptom of my rack which needed to be replaced (@130K miles).
Old 04-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by whippets2k
While not moving with the engine running - pull the steering wheel to one side slightly and let it go. Does it wiggle back and forth?

This was the symptom of my rack which needed to be replaced (@130K miles).

I just did that a few times it only wiggles a little bit when it starts to slip and regain movement. Also I just noticed it only happens when I pull the steering wheel to the right hand side. It doesn't slip or give that wiggle feel when I turn to the left.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately this is one of those "dealer items". Either you need a new steering rack (bad) or your dealer can make a Rack Guide Adjustment (good). Dealer item in that it requires a thin 43 mm special tool due to clearance issues.....to perform the adjustment. Hopefully you knocked the system out of alignment and all that is needed is an adjustment of the Return Angle.

Utah
Old 04-09-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
Unfortunately this is one of those "dealer items". Either you need a new steering rack (bad) or your dealer can make a Rack Guide Adjustment (good). Dealer item in that it requires a thin 43 mm special tool due to clearance issues.....to perform the adjustment. Hopefully you knocked the system out of alignment and all that is needed is an adjustment of the Return Angle.

Utah

I had the frame pulled and the mechanic said nothing was wrong with the rack that everything checked out right. How does the steering work in an s2000?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:48 PM

bump