S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

steering wheel slightly off center

Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel slightly off center

On my way to work this morning I noticed my steering wheel is slightly off center. It doesn't pull at all, but when the car is going perfectly straight my wheel is almost to 11 o'clock.. I've only done a couple things to the car, and I'm pretty certain I didn't bend anything. Here's what I've been messing with lately:

1) Me and my brother put Eibach pro kit lowering springs on. I drove it about 60 miles to make sure everything was sound, then did the alignment (which was pretty far off).

2) Replaced the board for my radio controls, which required lowering the steering wheel a bit. I've double checked the 2 nuts and 2 bolts that were used to lower the steering wheel, they're snug and look even on both sides. I only loosed the bolts, but fully removed the nuts. I did have to push down on the wheel a bit to get the dash to clear, but not so hard I felt like it was hurting anything (I'm a wimp).

just wondering where you guys think i should start first. is it possible my springs settled more and that's somehow affecting it? I feel like I'd have a pull if that was the case, but I'm not sure.

Is there some kind of step I missed when putting my steering wheel back into place?

I can take a picture if needed but its not going to show much except for exactly how off the steering wheel is
Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Your alignment tech is a moron, and didn't center your steering wheel when it did the front toe adjustment. Take it back and demand they do it right, unless you're happy with half assed work. Someone has to sit in the car to put the steering wheel to center before that little useless tool to hold the wheel is installed.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Your alignment tech is a moron, and didn't center your steering wheel when it did the front toe adjustment. Take it back and demand they do it right, unless you're happy with half assed work. Someone has to sit in the car to put the steering wheel to center before that little useless tool to hold the wheel is installed.
me and my brother did the alignment so that makes perfect sense. we usually have someone else do it, but we had the rack there and decided to go for it. lesson learned lol