S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Steering Wheel Not Aligned

Old 02-23-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did mine yesterday. My alignment was out.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 PM

Just I have the alignment checked. Any signs of a crash or wreck will become obvious with the results. But from the sound of it I wouldn't be too worried, all cars will be off somewhat if an alignment hasn't been done within the last year or so.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by djbeatz08
Its most likely an alignment issue. If you need to replace tie rods your looking around $175 in parts for inner and outer tie rods. If the owner knows about the issue they should also know when it originated and what caused it. Maybe make the purchase contingent on an $80 alignment?
I like this idea, thank you. They seem serious enough about selling it, and I don't think it's asking too much. Especially if it had been like that when he bought it, and he can't guarantee the cause.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

the alignment would be out of whack a great deal if the tie rods were replaced. happened to me when i took out my inner and outer rods to replace them
Old 02-24-2014, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by iamxpL
the alignment would be out of whack a great deal if the tie rods were replaced. happened to me when i took out my inner and outer rods to replace them
The thing is, the misalignment of the wheel is so slight that I probably wouldn't have noticed it if he didn't mention anything. So I'm really hoping that it's only an alignment issue. Although I don't know why he wouldn't have gotten it fixed over the year that he owned it if it was something that simple.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:21 AM

Did it pull or wander when driving it straight?

If you looked at the tires, were they worn evenly? Sometimes if the car was aligned on old tires, a new set of tires will cause the steering wheel to be off with the old alignment. Big differences in toe &/or camber from side to side can cause both steering wheel off center and irregular wear. Also if the alignment shop aligns the front before the rear that can cause it too.

To test for alignment or steering issues, take it around low speed turns and pay attention to: 1) any noises (clunking, clicking, rubbing, rattle, etc)
2) steering effort going left and going right - it should be even/smooth in both directions and linear (no skips, hang ups or low effort spots)
3) how easily the steering wheel returns to center after the turn - should be even in both directions and return completely (or very close to completely) to center
Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The one I saw was NOT an alignment issue. The shaft was simply reconnected a spline or two off when reconnected after a clutch job. It is a ten minute fix with a 10mm wrench.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
The one I saw was NOT an alignment issue. The shaft was simply reconnected a spline or two off when reconnected after a clutch job. It is a ten minute fix with a 10mm wrench.
I think this may be the issue with my car after the steering rack replacement, so I'd like to try this. Could you briefly describe the process?
Old 02-24-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by whippets2k
Originally Posted by cdelena' timestamp='1393258126' post='23031331
I think this may be the issue with my car after the steering rack replacement, so I'd like to try this. Could you briefly describe the process?
Make sure you have an equal number of turns lock to lock to ensure the rack is centered. Then with the rack centered and wheels straight ahead, disconnect the steering column joint from the pinion and straighten the steering wheel. With the steering wheel centered, reconnect the steering column joint and tighten making sure that the steering wheel and wheels stay straight while reconnecting. Do not let the steering wheel turn more than a 1/8 of a turn while it's disconnected. It's a good idea to have somebody hold it through the process.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:20 PM

If they've ever put on aftermarket suspension parts/lowered that could affect it too. I bought mine and during the inspection, the mechanics (at a shop that does tires/alignments) noted the off-center steering and said I needed an alignment. Previously it had coilovers one but were removed, and I don't think it was realigned

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Not Aligned