S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Steering Wheel "Heavy" after Major Service

Old 09-02-2002, 08:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

The tire pressure is fine, and since the alinement was fine before I went swimming with the car, it should still be fine. The car was in 5-6" of water for 2 min. I was pushed out quickly and I never had to get out of the car. The water covered the hood becasue of the wake generated @ 10mph so the rack would have been wet, but not submerged.

Also in addtion to the issues listed at the top of the thread. I found several other minor electical problems.

1. Right headlight not working. It worked Friday morning, but out Friday night.
2. Both headlights assy have a small amount of water in them.

The dealer gets the car back on tuesday, so only time will tell.
Old 09-02-2002, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jshahan
The car was in 5-6" of water for 2 min. I was pushed out quickly and I never had to get out of the car. The water covered the hood becasue of the wake generated @ 10mph so the rack would have been wet, but not submerged.
I disagree, the rack is fairly low, and if you were low enough to ingest water, you were low enough to dunk the rack. All it would take is a minute or so to get water in it, and since it is a 60A or so electrical load, you could have definitely cooked something. The torque sensor is a very delicate electronic sensor, if it is waterlogged I would suspect it wouldn't work right (and it is in the rack).

Sounds like they will find it, whatever it is, but I would have them go through the electrical system thoroughly. I still haven't checked the manual but would wager that resetting the EPS is not necessary for the r&r on the motor/tranny. Even if disconnected, unless it is reattached improperly, the old settings should have been fine.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Most service centers pull the engine and tranny intact. Obviously it's easier. That being said, and assuming your dealer does what most do; the the specific Helm reference is MY '01 Manual Page 13-8 step 16. "Disconnect the 2P connector from the steering gearbox". Or how about Helm MY '01 17-18 - Torque Sensor Neutral Position?"Memorize the torque sensor neutral position whenever the gearbox is removed and installed or when the torques sensor or EPS control unit is replaced" Several others have had this exact problem over the last year and each time the reset suggested has fixed it. Your dealer can try this fix very quickly.........

Utah

P.S. Marcucci- What was the wager ......
Old 09-03-2002, 01:54 PM

The Honda Service Tech said that he can't reset the TSNP without a EPS light or a DTS Error code. I am trying to get him to force it.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jshahan
[B]The Honda Service Tech said that he can't
Old 09-03-2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by cdelena

Not true, it is just done when needed (anytime the gearbox is reinstalled). He needs to read the manual.
The gearbox was not changed, and nothing in the steering line was changed. To top it off, both of my headlight have failed. one after the other. The dealer said that the Power Inverter failed for each headlight. It looks like there is some electical issues that are still unresolved. But still no error codes.

They kept the car, and will be calling Honda's Tech line (again) to see what came be done. All in all atleast they are trying
Old 09-03-2002, 05:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Jshahan
The gearbox was not changed, and nothing in the steering line was changed.
I'd like to know how they swapped the block without removing the transmission, but it doesn't make any difference, they can still reset the TSNP.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:04 PM

They pulled the Gearbox (Transmission) I saw it one the ground next to the car.

I see what you are saying. I misunderstood. I bet the Service techs are missing that as well.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Tow it to another dealer, one that has a clue.....yours does not; and as such should not work on the car. Contact your regional service representative and tell them you have a competence issue with a dealer. Feel free to direct them to this thread as most know about this board, and the technical competence here (many dealers do not). To find a reputable S2000 dealer in your area go to the "Communities" section of this board. There are very active groups in Houston/Dallas that can help you out. I trust SondraS2K as she is located there and is very active in this and other S2000 communities.

Utah

P.S. Here is the link to elevate this up a notch:
http://www.hondacars.com/info/customer_relations.asp
Old 09-04-2002, 09:02 PM

Well today I called another dealers Service director. I meant him on a weekend @ an autoparts store and he told me to call him if I ever needed anything. I asked him to findout from the tech anout this issue. They are one of the largest dealers in Houston.

The tech said that the "GearBox" was part of the rack, and not the transmission. None of them has evet had to do anything to the EPS system when pulling/replacing an engine.

All 4 of these techs said that they could find the problem, but they needed a DTC to do it.

Your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel "Heavy" after Major Service