S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Steering wheel calibration

Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel calibration

Hello guys,

I did alignment lately, my toes are identical and correct for the front tires, and everything seems to be correct on the alignment machine, though my steering wheel is tilted to the right a little bit.

Is it related to some electric calibration? Is it because it's EPS?
How to calibrate the steering wheel without affecting the alignment that I did.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shop didn't have the wheel straight when they set the toe. Take it back and tell them to fix it.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 AM

so it has nothing to do with software calibration like using the HDS or something?
it's all about Toe?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by kaissi
so it has nothing to do with software calibration like using the HDS or something?
it's all about Toe?
yes, chances are they didnt put a steering wheel lock on it when they aligned it...we use a spring loaded tool that wedges between the seat and holds the steering wheel in place...just take it back to whoever did it and tell them the steering wheel isnt straight
Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Steering wheel orientation is a mechanical attribute. There is a direct connection between the steering wheel and the front tires. The EPS is only a boosting device to give it power steering. Doing an EPS calibration won't do a thing to the placement of the s. wheel vs the position of the front wheels. You may as well wave your magic wand at it. 2 posters have already told you what happened. I'll be the third. The guy who did the alignment overlooked the position of the steering wheel or he was just lazy and didn't bother with it. Each side's steering rod needs to be adjusted the same number of turns after the steering wheel is set to the proper position. If the s. wheel is tilted to the right, it needs to be pulled back to the left till it's straight and under no stress. Then the rods need to be adjusted to move the front wheels to the right.
If the steering wheel is off by less than an inch, I wouldn't mess with it if the alignment is good now. If the alignment guy was so lax that he didn't leave you with a straight steering wheel, he'll probably screw up the alignment trying to fix this.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper
Steering wheel orientation is a mechanical attribute. There is a direct connection between the steering wheel and the front tires. The EPS is only a boosting device to give it power steering. Doing an EPS calibration won't do a thing to the placement of the s. wheel vs the position of the front wheels. You may as well wave your magic wand at it. 2 posters have already told you what happened. I'll be the third. The guy who did the alignment overlooked the position of the steering wheel or he was just lazy and didn't bother with it. Each side's steering rod needs to be adjusted the same number of turns after the steering wheel is set to the proper position. If the s. wheel is tilted to the right, it needs to be pulled back to the left till it's straight and under no stress. Then the rods need to be adjusted to move the front wheels to the right.
If the steering wheel is off by less than an inch, I wouldn't mess with it if the alignment is good now. If the alignment guy was so lax that he didn't leave you with a straight steering wheel, he'll probably screw up the alignment trying to fix this.
Good to see you back, you were missed.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Good to see you back, you were missed.
Thanks. I'm not nearly as patient as I was for the first 10 years. I screen the posts that I respond to.